Master Untangler

Default Do Intel PCI Express network cards work with Untangle?

We're looking at using the WAN Balancing module soon with our Untangle box (currently v.9.4.2).

Both of the PCI slots are in use (internal network card and external/WAN card) which means that I'll need to install a PCI-Express NIC.

Do Intel PCI-Express NIC's work with Untangle 9.4.2? Are there any gotchas to look out for?

I found this one which is compatible according to the compatibility list:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-X3959...item33a337100e
    Last edited by BadBoyHouse; 06-11-2015 at 08:49 AM.

I always say go Intel or go home, because of the compatibility.

That being said, you're playing with fire looking for upgrades to 9.4. Adding NICs to the installation has good odds of damaging it. And the reinstall required to fix it, isn't worth it when you need to be upgrading anyway.

So go get whatever Intel branded stuff you can, and upgrade that thing to v11. From there, it'll most certainly work, the updated drivers will take care of it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Great stuff thanks.

I was planning on upgrading to v11 so will get this done at the same time if not sooner.

Untangler

I am using an Intel PCI Express Dual-NIC card ... works like a charm!

FWIW, I think the two built-in Ethernet ports on my Mini-ITX system motherboard that I built for this purpose would also have worked - the Untangle software found them too when I installed, but people were concerned about the fact that one of the ports used something other than an Intel chip.

So, I figured why take the risk? The Intel card was relatively inexpensive on eBay.

Z

Master Untangler

I picked up an Intel Pro 1000 PT card from ebay. Untangle 11 recognised it fine.

Master Untangler

I use a intel i340-t4 (quad port. pci-e) and it also works great on untangle 11+
    So I think more or less any intel card you may add will work on untangle. Not sure about 9.x version with newer network cards....

The i310 and i340 series cards are a prime example of why being on v11 is important. Neither of those lines will work with v9 without custom compiled drivers!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com