Untanglit

Default Draytek VigorNIC 132 PCI-E VDSL / ADSL Card - OK for Untangle ??

This card being released in August seems as if it could be useful on dedicated Untangle servers and remove the need for external VDSL / ADSL modems. It refers to using in software firewalls etc:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/bu...132#1-overview

"A third possible application is using the VigorNIC 132 as a modem in a PC/host which is acting as your network router - a software based router, such as PFSense, Smoothwall, Shorewall, Opensense, IPFire, IPCop, IPTables (Netfilter), VyOs etc. (all assuming running on a compatible O/S)."

No mention of Untangle specifically but presumably something to keep an eye on?

It's just an SFP port; there are lots of them out there. You want to find one that's compatible with Debian Jessie, along with an SFP that will be compatible with your ISP's network medium, but unless you have fiber that's easier said than done, and it's not usually very cost effective, either.

[edit]
    Ahh... on closer inspection I see that they're calling that an RJ-11 port, even though it sure looks like RJ-45, and it's intended accept a dsl line. Probably just the plastic mold for RJ-45 with only the RJ-11 copper connectors inside.

I have seen dsl cards before, but not recently. A quick search shows cisco still makes them, but everything else I see pre-dates vdsl. I'd be more interested in a docsis card for cable service
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 05-30-2016 at 02:17 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.4.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untanglit

Ninja

Yes, the only reason that this item caught my attention was the VDSL (FTTC) ability which, depending upon the price, may well be of interest to those with external VDSL (and ADSL) modems, and certainly in the UK, with RJ11.