Unhappy New Hardware WAN interface will not get DHCP IP from ISP, old hardware works?!

I’ve been using Untangle for about 2 years now on an older Dell SC1425 Server (Quad-Core Xenon)—the thing is huge and loud and I’m sure it takes a lot of power to run it, so I decided that I would upgrade my Untangle hardware to a new sleek 1U rack mount box with an i5 and a SSD.
    I ordered a nice min-ITX MB (Biostar) with dual NICs and added in an additional dual-port Gig-E Intel card. My ISP is Google Fiber, and I need the horsepower to support the gigabit speeds….plus I have a lot of devices in my network.
    So—here’s the dilemma which I am hoping some more experienced Linux/Untangle gurus can help me with. The old hardware works perfectly; the new hardware will not get an IP address from Google Fiber. I’ve done all the typical troubleshooting—verified that even just a single laptop will get an IP from Google. I also can put my new Untangle box behind my old one and get a DHCP IP on the WAN interface from the existing DHCP server.
    The weird thing is that I am using a restored config from my running Untangle – I made sure to check and map the interfaces, but no matter what I do I can’t get this new box to get an IP.
    I reloaded Untangle fresh and built a simple config, but still no dice.
    When Untangle boots it gets stuck at DHCPREQUEST. It will just sit there for 20-30 minutes—but I will see DHCPOFFER messages from the provider’s server----Untangle just never picks up the IP.
    This is driving me crazy—any help appreciated.
    UT.JPG

Are you connecting the Untangle directly to the Google Fiber equipment? If so, try a small switch in between.

The old hardware, is it gigabit?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Have you tried using a port on the other NIC for the WAN connection?

Interesting how we can see the OS clearly received an offer. I wonder why it couldn't accept it? Perhaps something is wrong where it sends the REQUEST packets through the wrong interface, and thus never receives the final ACK? Or perhaps the OFFER conflicts with the subnet for your internal interface?

Untangle has a packet sniffing feature built into the troubleshooting tab on the network config. You might be able to use this to narrow down whether or not the REQUEST packet is being sent from Untangle and lost somewhere on route to Google's DHCP, sent via the wrong interface, or just not sent at all (unplug the cable, start capturing, and plug the cable back in to force dhcp traffic into your capture).
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 06-16-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Are you connecting the Untangle directly to the Google Fiber equipment? If so, try a small switch in between.

The old hardware, is it gigabit?
    No, I'm not using the Google Fiber network box. I am using a small managed gigabit switch that splits out VLAN2 (a requirement for Google Fiber). The setup works with my old Untangle box--but not the new one. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    Have you tried using a port on the other NIC for the WAN connection?

Interesting how we can see the OS clearly received an offer. I wonder why it couldn't accept it? Perhaps something is wrong where it sends the REQUEST packets through the wrong interface, and thus never receives the final ACK? Or perhaps the OFFER conflicts with the subnet for your internal interface?

Untangle has a packet sniffing feature built into the troubleshooting tab on the network config. You might be able to use this to narrow down whether or not the REQUEST packet is being sent from Untangle and lost somewhere on route to Google's DHCP, sent via the wrong interface, or just not sent at all (unplug the cable, start capturing, and plug the cable back in to force dhcp traffic into your capture).
    Thank you! That's an awesome suggestion. The public (external) and internal networks do not conflict. I tried different ports and different network cards with different chipsets just to try to rule this out. I did do a quick capture of the working Untangle box--will post it shortly. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Oh, and yes-- the old and the new are both gigabit.

Here's a screencap of the working (old) Untangle box getting an IP from DHCP. Curious that the DHCP server is a different IP...hummm...
    working_untangle.JPG

I'm assuming the VLAN tags are stripped by the switch and it's the port that's bound to VLAN2? Because if those packets are tagged, Untangle's external is going to ignore them.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I'm assuming the VLAN tags are stripped by the switch and it's the port that's bound to VLAN2? Because if those packets are tagged, Untangle's external is going to ignore them.
    Correct - that needs to be done to avoid using GF's network box, since the network box handles both TV and Data (I only subscribe to data).

This may seem silly, but try the small switch idea anyway.

It's a complete shot in the dark, but this smells like a low level electrical incompatibility between the new NIC and the existing switch.

Assuming of course you've simply restored the configuration from the old box to the new one?
    NexgenAppliances.com