Untanglit

Default Lenovo M72e Headaches

I've done my fair share of install over the years but this Lenovo is killing me.

System Specs:
    Intel G2020 cpu
    Dual Intel Ct nics
    120GB Kingston SSD
    OnDie video w/ 128 MB assigned
    8GB DDR3

Here is the situation, I plug in my 12.0.1 x64 USB (I installed another system just a few days ago with no issues) into this lenovo. The initial installation goes perfectly fine, but after the first reboot I get no video and the monitor says "Input out of range" (same 19" wide screen I used a few days prior) on the VGA. If I power the box down and connect to the DVI, I actually get part of the main screen and can see some of the setup wizard. If i had to guess I'd say I'm only seeing the top left third of the image.

I have seen a few other threads that have suggested the monitor but I'm doubting that as it was fine installing on an older Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo. I'm guessing that its a driver issue...

Anyone else run in to this or have any thoughts?
    Last edited by Mr.Spoon; 06-17-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention RAM and x64

During boot, grub gives you three options, normal, video safe, and kern. Try the two others, video safe is all but required on a ton of hardware these days.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I had tried Video Safe Mode and it did work as it should, Just felt like i was missing something as this is the first time I've ran into this where normal boot did work. Is there any issues continually running a box in Video safe or Kern modes? I always felt these were diagnostic modes and not for daily usage...

v12 comes with a new OS and a new X.org implementation as well. Every time we swap out x.org the game changes in regards to video. I don't have a single v12 install I've seen yet that lives on a KVM that can operate in the default boot, I end up using Video Safe on all of those. Meanwhile, any directly attached monitor seems to do OK, if and only if that monitor is a 19" widescreen or larger. Every directly attached 4:3 aspect display thus far as required video safe.

It's frustrating to be sure, but something that we've seen before, and will likely see again. Automatically detecting the video hardware and configuring it properly isn't terribly easy. In your case it seems like under normal boot Untangle is going with the max res your video card can handle instead of the max res the monitor can handle. This is also sadly, very common with Debian based stuff.

But that's why we have those different video options on boot.

I've only had to use kern video on one box, and ultimately that unit was reinstalled and now uses normal...

THAT's the bit that gets me, upgraded boxes seem to play by different rules than fresh installations.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks for the great information.