Default Raid 0 7200 rpm drives or single 15k drive?

We are at a crossroads with our storage choice and looking for opinions/advice.
    2000+ users.
    2gig internet.

Raid 0 with 4 x 7200 rpm SATA drives or a single 15k SAS drive? I am leaning towards the SAS because I like to keep things simple and I just am worried about the cheap drives failing.

Opinions?
    Thanks!

Master Untangler

The answer is not quite that simple. RAID 0 will give you a larger volume, but no protection if one fails. Real question is how much data do you plan on keeping (retention period). A 15K drive will certainly write faster, but you need to look at a number of things. Also, a 2g internet with that many users is going to need some pretty beefy hardware. What hardware are you running that on?
    ...Rick

2000 users doesn't correlate to devices, devices is what drives the logs.

I've supported network in that size range with a single 7200RPM device. I know I'd be more comfortable if you swapped to RAID 10 on those drives, sure it cuts your storage in half but you'll be redundant. It should take weeks to burn through 1tb of space, if you're consuming things that fast I'd say something is wrong.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    2000 users doesn't correlate to devices, devices is what drives the logs.
    Users often have multiple devices. My response was based on our staff members having a PC, cell phone, and some even have tablets or iPads. It adds up pretty quickly.
    ...Rick

Thanks. It is beefey. 40 core 256g ram. Leftover from another project. The storage is the last piece for us and it is really helpful to get some real world information. We are fine with raid 10. It was just that when our logs filled up the 1tb that fast we thought we needed more storage. After your info, some other posts, and the performance tuning guide in the wiki it seems like we may need to chase IO not storage space.

Also I think we may have turned on too much logging of things as we are moving from a regular L3 firewall to all these new features .

I would investigate _what_ filled up the disk.

If you filled up your gas tank and then ran out of gas 5 miles later would you add a 500 gallon tank to you car?
    It would be better to find the issue first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    RBoynton likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mjr99 View Post
    It is beefey. 40 core 256g ram. Leftover from another project.
    We are using a PE 2950 with three 10K 146g drives in RAID 5 & 32g RAM. Very little storage space used, and box just loafs along! Must have been a heck of a project to have a "leftover" server equipped like that. Nice find!
    abailey likes this.
    ...Rick