Untanglit

Question Random reboots wihtout a clear reason

I've been monitoring a medium load untangle server (captive portal and openvpn apps only) and it seems to reboot every 7-13 days without any reason and the only thing that I have noticed so far is that free memory tends to be almost depleted when these spontaneous reboots occur. Can this be the culprit? why?

I feel this is like a broken promise since its based on Linux and it is supposed to last centuries without needing a reboot and in my particular case I am holding certain data in memory from a script that gets cleared out when this happens and it's uncomfortable.

I included some logs for your better understanding, 8 days uptime and low memory now and I think it won't be long until it reboots again.

logs1.jpglogs2.jpglogs3.jpg
    Last edited by samco; 10-07-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Master Untangler

I do not know why your untangle box is rebooting. But from your device count I would at least invest in a bit more memory. 2gb is a bit on the low side. I would have atleast 4GB, and in your case, 8GB because of the large amount of devices. The swap file use is slowing down your gateway. So it's better have enough ram to avoid the use of the swap file. This is just my opinion. You are free to ignore it if you will. Have a nice day. Hope you get help with your problem.

Untanglit

I appreciate your analysis, I had thought about it but think about this: double the RAM, it will last 21 days without rebooting, it's sort of the same persistent issue, I just need it not to reboot in a matter of days.

I have this VPS with 512MB ram running regular Debian 8 and it can run for months and no reboots happen ever, it is not that heavy use but whatever.

Master Untangler

Hmm, It should not just rise and rise. At some point it should stop using memory. My home setup is a bit overkill with 16GB ram. But I got alot more modules installed and I max out around 3-3.5GB of memory usage. Even over 3 months

Master Untangler

I would agree that what he is seeing is not normal.

Did you do some 'custom' work on the console itself (scripts, non-bundled apps, etc)? Or is it truly a stock system with no under the hood tinkering?

Jason

Do not upgrade that hardware.

Let me put this in very simple terms. Something, is broken.

I don't mean some ethereal software bug that's causing a problem. I mean, linux doesn't just reboot itself unless the hardware it's on is defective. You have a bad hard disk, or bad RAM, possibly both.

Down the unit, run memtest, and get the factory test out on that drive. That's how you fix this.

Oh, and ignore the low memory alert, it's yet another false alarm, and going away in a future version. Linux will use 95% of ram at idle naturally, that's what it's supposed to do.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    I would agree that what he is seeing is not normal.

Did you do some 'custom' work on the console itself (scripts, non-bundled apps, etc)? Or is it truly a stock system with no under the hood tinkering?

Jason
    If that were the case, I'd have mentioned it. Just captive portal with a simple custom script and openvpn. No under the hood tinkering really. I don't know if you guys saw the log but it seems the java process is the one taking most ram.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Do not upgrade that hardware.

Let me put this in very simple terms. Something, is broken.

I don't mean some ethereal software bug that's causing a problem. I mean, linux doesn't just reboot itself unless the hardware it's on is defective. You have a bad hard disk, or bad RAM, possibly both.

Down the unit, run memtest, and get the factory test out on that drive. That's how you fix this.

Oh, and ignore the low memory alert, it's yet another false alarm, and going away in a future version. Linux will use 95% of ram at idle naturally, that's what it's supposed to do.
    I understand your point but in that case I don't think it would last 7+ days every time but random reboots and crashes all the way but let's see.

That's my point, random means broken. You have a hardware issue. And in my experience this behavior is almost always a defective hard disk, or defective RAM. Warning! If you have defective RAM, the hard disk may test bad too! Fix the ram first!

I have seen this behavior in large installations at times and it isn't hardware, but that was back in the 9.x days. I haven't seen this behavior on a modern kernel.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-07-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com