Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Gouldin View Post
    But mine wouldn't boot correctly without doing that.
    Doing rm /dev/mtdblock2 achieves precisely *nothing*. I just want to make that clear to others who may read this thread: removing that pseudo-device will not fix any problem you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouldin View Post
    I assume, that if I were to flash another firmware onto it from stock that it would replace what I've done anyway.?
    Not sure what you're referring to with "what I've done", but flashing untangle or ddwrt or openwrt basically ignores whatever you've done on the machine before, and starts fresh, from an entirely clean slate.

It works because you still flashed one, and by removing the USB stick it will fail to boot mtdblock2 (which has untangle) so it just keeps rebooting.
    The linksys will switch partitions on failure to boot, so eventually it will block mtdblock4 which has linksys.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Understand, so what we should do to have it done properly? I am bot able to edit the post with the procedure and remove the rm command from it.

just run the two commands i gave.
    no need for the rm - it does nothing.
    sandisxxx likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Do not remove /dev/mtdblock2: if you do that, and then use dd to write to it, you're just writing a plain file on the hard-drive, but you are definitely not flashing the actual MTD memory. with your procedure, you end just flashing mtd4 and not mt2, which the Linksys doesn't like (this is why you see it "rebooting a couple of times"), even it finally settles down.

dd complaining about "No space left on device" is normal (MTD physical layouts are tricky, see for instance https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys...storage_layout), and never fatal: it's still wrote what it needed to.
    to all people reading this, i did the proceedure, i left out the rm command and it works so MY prceedure was as follows:
    1. get the firmware file into the device(linksys wrt 1900ac)
    A. renamed file FOOBAR couldn't change extension FOOBAR.img is the new file
    B. i used FileZilla login as root and password port 22(unless you changed SSh port)
    C. i file placed in root folder
    2. Make sure SSH is enabled
    3. ssh into untangle as root
    4. run dd commands
    A. dd if=FOOBAR.img of=/dev/mtdblock2 bs=1M
    B. dd if=FOOBAR.img of=/dev/mtdblock4 bs=1M
    5. remove USB with untangle image
    6. Power off device
    7. i waited 10 min before powering up device
    8. SUCCESS!! bank into linksys
    so it is confirmed, rm command should NOT be used !took less than half-hour i do use linux regularly

Seb

Thank you for taking the time to confirm this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123