Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Master Untangler

this router is ok if we have fiber at home ? does it support 1gb download / 100mb (or more) upload ?

Quote Originally Posted by doudoufr View Post
    this router is ok if we have fiber at home ? does it support 1gb download / 100mb (or more) upload ?
    Others in this thread have posted the throughput they see. Just read some of the prior posts. I want to say they were getting ~350Mbps with Layer7 Inspection, but scroll up & read for yourself to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and thank you!!

I hate to say this but untangle was total garbage. To anyone that reads through this thread, stop what you are doing, install Google Chrome and Ublock Origin.

There are no additional features on this firmware that are worth the time and energy to install. The graphs are cute, but there is no value add.

Also, if you are looking to flash back to the original firmware, you will need to enable SSH under ADVANCED when logged into the Untangle interface. Even support didnt realize that wasnt enabled. I had to figure out why I couldnt flash back for 30 minutes until I realized this..

Quote Originally Posted by sandisxxx View Post
    So here is the procedure, how to revert to stock.
    Prerequisites:
    putty (http://www.putty.org/)
    winscp (https://winscp.net/eng/download.php)
    original firmware (http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=165487)

Procedure
    1. download all prerequisites and install putty and winscp
    2. use WinSCP to connect to the Linksys and copy the firmware to /tmp and rename to foobar.trx (login: root, pwd: your admin password)
    3. use putty to ssh to the Linksys (login: root, pwd: your admin password)
    4. cd /tmp
    5. rm /dev/mtdblock2
    6. dd if=foobar.trx of=/dev/mtdblock4 bs=1M
    7. dd if=foobar.trx of=/dev/mtdblock6 bs=1M
    8. remove the USB drive from Linksys
    9. power off, wait a minute and power on
    10. let the router do it's thing, it will reboot a couple of times
    You should be back to stock.

Thanks and kudos go to dmorris and Gouldin

Untangler

I personally have to disagree with your opinion that Untangle is garbage.

It is, in my opinion, one of the most straight forward & easy to use Internet gateway packages on the market whilst still being extremely powerful & feature rich.
    I donít think itís right for you to call it garbage just because you have had a bad experience with it.

The policy based control alone makes this software / firmware more than worth its cost to me (being able to block YouTube is an absolute god send & something that a lot of other router firmwares struggle to do)

Fair enough, youíve found a different solution that suits you better but that by no means makes Untangle garbage
    sandisxxx likes this.

Default Follow up

Thank you for the follow up. I dont think it was as much a bad experience as flashing this software to the 1900 was unproductive. It had a nice interface, but again zero additional value when compared to the "Linksys Smart WiFi" firmware.

For the home based user, this software is completely unnecessary. I understand people have their interests and the perception of "feature rich" control seems meaningful.

From a business perspective, there are far better packages. In the end, you get what you pay for. I concede, for companies, or network teams, unaware of other packages, this is a solution.

Lastly, you referenced being able to block YouTube. This can be done under "Parental Controls" using the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi firmware. I block devices all the time. Notably my security cameras since the recordings are saved to a local server.

Quote Originally Posted by jim1985 View Post
    I personally have to disagree with your opinion that Untangle is garbage.

It is, in my opinion, one of the most straight forward & easy to use Internet gateway packages on the market whilst still being extremely powerful & feature rich.
    I don’t think it’s right for you to call it garbage just because you have had a bad experience with it.

The policy based control alone makes this software / firmware more than worth its cost to me (being able to block YouTube is an absolute god send & something that a lot of other router firmwares struggle to do)

Fair enough, you’ve found a different solution that suits you better but that by no means makes Untangle garbage

Untangler

I just can tell, that the stock FW on the Linksys is absolute sh1t. They just can not mean this. I had to logon to some Linksys web server in order to remotely access my router, very often this "service" was down and I could not logon to the router at all, because Linksys had some server issues. What the hell! Also, there is little chance to set anything on the stock FW, so I had to switch to DDWRT, so I was at least able to setup remote management on a specific port. I wonder why Linksys makes such a nice HW for home and did not implement ANY Advanced configuration, just keeping some very basic ones. Currently the Linksys is in my drawer collecting dust, since I got a Sophos UTM for free. And I can tell you, this is the best UTM I have seen for SOHO as of yet

@aleiro - For what is provided, the Untangle offering brings plenty of value in many use cases (including business, home, guest WiFi, public sector, non-profit, etc.). It may not match your use case, and that's okay. But there are many of us here who have used a lot of firewall/UTM products over the years and choose Untangle for good reasons. I have (and still am) using other firewall products in a variety of environments as an IT service provider with many customers. I'd be happy to discuss more with you offline a compare/contrast of Untangle against some of the competing products.
    sandisxxx likes this.

I can see the "garbage" argument if you misunderstand what Untangle is about.

If you're looking for a general firmware replacement for the (also bad) stock linksys firmware, then I can understand how Untangle might disappoint. There are some limitations in the current wifi drivers, and as a layer-7 system it's a bit of a resource hog. It also has a lack of features not specifically related to security. For example, you lose the ability to use the USB port to connect to and share a storage device on your network. Untangle might also disappoint if you're in a home that views any internet content filtering or monitoring at all as an actively hostile feature, or if you've bought into the lies by some of the competition about time-based filtering.

But.

If you understand that Untangle is a security firewall first and firmware second, and you start looking at some of what that filtering is actually able to accomplish for the security of your home network, this starts to be an attractive and cost effective option, especially compared to buying a separate server.

Personally, I think we're still two "generation" improvements away from this being a real slam dunk: one more generation so that Untangle isn't such a tight fit into the available hardware (right now it seems they're jumping through too many hoops to just barely make it work, and for only two models so far), and one more for that level of hardware to be available in several devices at the mid-market level instead of just for the semi-pro/enthusiast. What we have now, though, will do that job, and it's necessary step along the path to that goal.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 12-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    sandisxxx likes this.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

Would it be possible to use a USB hub of some sort to allow the USB port to be used for sharing storage and / or printers?

Quote Originally Posted by jim1985 View Post
    Would it be possible to use a USB hub of some sort to allow the USB port to be used for sharing storage and / or printers?
    Unfortunately not at the present time with the open-source drivers.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast