Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Will this hardware support a gig internet connection?

AMD 5350 - https://tinyurl.com/z946pup
    8gb of ram
    120gb SSD
    2 port Intel 82576, I think it's the E1G42ET

Thanks

Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

Go with Intel I3

It's not about the cpu (well, it's some about the cpu, but in this case the cpu is probably good enough).

Untangle's performance has more to do with the nature of the workload placed on it by your network (for a home network you're probably fine), the network cards (those intel nics look good), disk throughput (you'll be okay at home; on a larger network, UT might still burn out SSD write-cycles) and the motherboard bus speed.

That last one's probably gonna trip you up here.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

Those are just parts I discovered in the basement, lol.

I have no plans to buy new hardware. I could run it as a VM on my server (i7 3770k, 32gb of ram, same nic) if that would be any better? The downside being it would go down anytime the server had to reboot.

I have other hardware available to me in my basement. i7 920, though that's 130w vs 25w and an i7 2600k, though that's 95w vs 25w.

Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

If you already have the parts why not build it and try it out?

It is about CPU in the sense that I've never seen an Atom of any stripe pull gigabit. Meanwhile, I've seen celerons laugh at it.

I've not used AMD enough in the last decade to really be any good comparing their offerings, though if they continue actually bothering to compete I look forward to doing so again.

I think the OPs largest hangup is going to be PCI bus. Desktop grade hardware can be annoyingly restrictive here. If you want to saturate a NIC, you need 2gbit per NIC. So can your PCI bus handle 4GB/Sec on those cards while not bottle necking because it's using more to the disk?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I have yet to see anyone bur through an SSD write cycle. Its possible but unlikely. and I have seen some SSD's get pounded daily real real hard for many many moons and not even come close. Home or office your not going to burn through an SSD.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by cdmarshall View Post
    I have yet to see anyone bur through an SSD write cycle. Its possible but unlikely. and I have seen some SSD's get pounded daily real real hard for many many moons and not even come close. Home or office your not going to burn through an SSD.
    Untangle isn't a home or office, it's a UTM. As such, it has tons of writes and database info that needs to be setup. The disk IO is *huge*.

I personally swap my SSD's every 2 years, which are in a Raid1, for my Untangle at work for 1000 users.

Code:
    [root @ untangle] ~ # ./samsung_ssh_get_lifetime_writes.sh
    ------------------------------
     SSD Status:   /dev/sda
     On time:      40,092 hr
     Data written:
               MB: 14,174,537.362
               GB: 13,842.321
               TB: 13.517
     Mean write rate:
            MB/hr: 353.550
     Drive health: 67 %
    [root @ untangle] ~ #
    This is a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB device. Prior to this device I could burn up a 64gb SSD in six months on this same work load. I've burned up MANY solid state drives. That being said, the 850 line has more write endurance than the 840, and should be sufficient for most SMB uses. Enterprise users need only to look at the Intel Write Intense SSDs, http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...ries-brief.pdf. They will hold, yearly replacements shouldn't be required. I know Utnangle writes a ton of stuff, but even the largest installation shouldn't be burning up 24 PETABYTES in 24 months.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I've been hopeful the latest gen ssd's plus recent easier-on-the-write-io versions of untangle would make this better, but I've been waiting for a report like this.

Your 40,000hrs of use, plus a couple of those SD3510s in raid 1, and I feel a bit more comfortable about using them in a busier locale. Looks like it's time to finally give ssd's a chance on untangle.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 04-05-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast