Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default QOTOM Hardware Question

I'm considering setting up Untangle on one of these boxes.

The specs for this device are:
    CPU: Intel Celeron Processor J1900 (Quad-Core 2M Cache, 2 GHz, up to 2.42 GHz)
    Parts inside: 8GB DDR3 RAM; 64GB MSATA SSD; NO WIFI
    Main Port: 4 LAN, VGA, 4 USB
    LAN: 4 x RJ-45 port - Intel I211AT - 10/100/1000 Controller

Here's my question. Will this be adequate for a home with more than an average number of clients (PCs, mobile, and IOT devices)? Should I expect any slowdowns with this processor? Also, Untangle recommends 80GB as a minimum for hard drive space, so will 64GB be sufficient?

QOTOM offers a similar device with an I5 processor and 128GB HD. I'm assuming the I5 is overkill? Thoughts?

Thanks!

They are both overkill.

(If they work at all, which I don't have one and have not tried it)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

So I get why the the I5 is overkill, but apart from the 8GB of ram on the first one (I didn't see any configs with 2 or 4GB on Amazon), is there any other reason why it is overkill? Also, I'm assuming from your answer that you think that the 60GB ssd will be sufficient?

Thanks

They actually aren't overkill, with DOCSIS 3.1 pushing out you'll need that horsepower to fuel gigabit filtration. We're going to be staring at gbps Internet connections in homes in less than a year in some places. So depending on where you are, this may actually be under powered.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Ok, this is a useful dialogue. Will wait to see if any others weigh in. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aaylnx View Post
    I'm considering setting up Untangle on one of these boxes.

The specs for this device are:
    CPU: Intel Celeron Processor J1900 (Quad-Core 2M Cache, 2 GHz, up to 2.42 GHz)
    Parts inside: 8GB DDR3 RAM; 64GB MSATA SSD; NO WIFI
    Main Port: 4 LAN, VGA, 4 USB
    LAN: 4 x RJ-45 port - Intel I211AT - 10/100/1000 Controller

Here's my question. Will this be adequate for a home with more than an average number of clients (PCs, mobile, and IOT devices)? Should I expect any slowdowns with this processor? Also, Untangle recommends 80GB as a minimum for hard drive space, so will 64GB be sufficient?

QOTOM offers a similar device with an I5 processor and 128GB HD. I'm assuming the I5 is overkill? Thoughts?

Thanks!
    What is your wan speed and which modules are you going to use?
    Emmanuel Technology Consulting

Untangle Partner
    Former Sophos UTM Partner

If you are looking for gigabit, I wouldn't go with any J1900 based.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

A use the Qotom J1900, 4 port, 8G Ram, 60G SSD, Wifi

It work very well and handle all the traffic of my house with 3 kid gaming

I don't know if it will well handle the 100M+ internet connexion but i don't have that much money to spend on internet connection

I made some test
    In local gigabyte connection passing in Untangle i get 691Mbps all standard protection running, nothing running 739Mbps
    Direct connexion on the switch i get 937Mbps
    Than i am pretty confident that unit will handle fast internet

PS: the Wi-Fi supply is not natively support from Debian than donít pay extra for it, it wonít work in untangle.

And it only use 9 watt at normal running.

I record 45 day of history and use only 30% of disk

memory.JPGcpu.JPG

my 2 cent
    Untangle for home V13, Qotom J1900, 8 Gig ram, 60 Gig SSD

Master Untangler

I have been using these boards for a while and they have really worked well with Untangle. Just this last week, I have a client with 1 Gbps fiber and he's using pfsense on this machine, I'm going to setup Untangle on one and test it to see what speeds I get through it.

I use the same hardware for my Untangle setup. I initially had a 64GB MSATA SSD as well but somehow it got fried. I had it replaced under warranty but the replacement also started to act strange (database errors when bringing up the Untangle dashboard). At that point I gave up on using SSDs and threw in a normal spinning drive and it has been running fine ever since. I have 300mbps down/30 up and it runs fine, doesn't even sweat. Speaking of "sweat" I would recommend getting a fan to place on top as the device is fanless and does get a bit warm for my taste. If you keep your home nice and cool then it's probably not necessary. The one I bought on Amazon is no longer available, but it's similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-M...8F9CYJ0XY7P0C5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast