Untanglit

Default Apollo Lake Support (N3450)

I'd like to know it there is any official word on Apollo lake support (N3450)?

I have a Zotac CI327 that is SUUUUUPER slow installing the current 13.1 release. Like 30sec to a minute between screens. Once installed a few hours later the setup wizard has the same stutter/delay.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by Mr.Spoon; 11-15-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added Detail

Officially we only guarantee hardware support for device sold by Untangle. With that said, there are thousands of third party boxes running Untangle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Officially we only guarantee hardware support for device sold by Untangle. With that said, there are thousands of third party boxes running Untangle.
    I understand that and applaud the versatility so far. I would figure that the Apollo lake issues it due to the debian 8 base.

And it seems I've found my answer:

https://forums.untangle.com/installa...9-stretch.html

Untangle Ninja

I ran into this myself a couple of weeks ago with a Zotac CI327. I first thought it was just slow reading the USB and that once it installed it would be fine... but after 6 hours it finally completed the install and rebooted, and it was still slow and weird.
    Before I bought it, I noted a review comment that said something like "installed Debian, works great!" so I felt re-assured Untangle would work.... now I realize Debian 8 is the issue, whereas the reviewer had Debian 9.

After wasting basically an entire day trying to get the Zotac working, it was urgent to get a box in place so I just threw together some spare parts. I think I'm going to end up using a Linksys WRT1900ACS at that site.

Too bad, the Zotac CI327 seems like a very nice little box for the price (barely $200 with SSD and RAM). As not working with Apollo Lake seems like a pretty big issue, hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

(edit: I see that issues with the Zotac CI327 and Untangle were already known before I got one... I'm so used to having Untangle "just work" on pretty much any hardware that it didn't occur to me to search the forum)
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 11-17-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Untangle Ninja

I saw a comment on newegg for this box where a guy mentioned disabling C-States in the bios for another Linux distro. So I tried disabling C-States on mine and booted it up with the previously installed Untangle 13.1 (the one that took 6 hours to install). Everything seems to work at normal speed; I installed a couple of apps, they took just a couple of seconds each. The UI is fast, whereas before it took forever to do anything.

WiFi doesn't work, but I was never counting on it anyway.

Can anyone think of any big downside to running an untangle box with C-States disabled? I know it'll probably consume more power, but it's already a very low power box. Speed step and turbo should still work, so it can still throttle down when it's idle and speed up when it needs to.

Untangler

I'm currently using the Zotac CI547 and it works well. Setup was a little difficult as the USB 3 ports did not work so I could not use mouse or keyboard.

I have CI327 for another use but was hoping to use it as a backup if the CI547 goes down.

What settings in the BIOS do I need to change to use the CI327? Any other settings I need to know about for installation?

Disabling C-States will make the box less power efficient, but I don't think that's really going to be an issue. You don't want Untangle powering down stuff while it's running anyway, it's a router not a desktop!
    abailey and f1assistance like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by t2clej View Post
    What settings in the BIOS do I need to change to use the CI327? Any other settings I need to know about for installation?
    BIOS->Features->CPU Configuration->CPU Power Management->C-States [Disabled]

I also set the Boot Mode to Legacy, I think it defaults to Pure UEFI which I don't think will boot the Untangle USB image (but I might be wrong).

One could probably also investigate limiting the C-States in the BIOS rather than disabling them altogether... it might be that the problem comes with an advanced C-State while the old basic C1 or C1E is fine. I think I'm content to just leave them disabled though.