Untangler

Default Untangle on server with 32gb disk?

I am running Untangle on an old sever, setup some years ago. 4x Xeon CPU, 2.8GHZ, 4gb ram, 32 GB mirror drives.
    I have been slowly updating to the newer versions and am now at 11.2.1. CPU use runs around 0.25 or less. About 25 users.

But I am for the first time seeing low disk space warnings (8.3 gb/ 22% free).

Question; will Untangle just take care of itself in this regard (and maybe limit my report history?), or is this a very bad thing which needs my attention?
    I am using the paid web filter, and have these free apps turned on:

Virus Lite, Spam Lite, Phis, App control lite, Reports, Intrusion prevent

Don't have time now, but may more to a newer server with bigger disks if I have to.
    Thanks!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by greif View Post
    I am running Untangle on an old sever, setup some years ago. 4x Xeon CPU, 2.8GHZ, 4gb ram, 32 GB mirror drives.
    I have been slowly updating to the newer versions and am now at 11.2.1. CPU use runs around 0.25 or less. About 25 users.

But I am for the first time seeing low disk space warnings (8.3 gb/ 22% free).

Question; will Untangle just take care of itself in this regard (and maybe limit my report history?), or is this a very bad thing which needs my attention?
    I am using the paid web filter, and have these free apps turned on:

Virus Lite, Spam Lite, Phis, App control lite, Reports, Intrusion prevent

Don't have time now, but may more to a newer server with bigger disks if I have to.
    Thanks!
    32G drives are really skinny to run anything more than a test environment. You really should get some larger drives. Older drives that would fit your server are probably pretty cheap these days on EBay.
    ...Rick

It can be done, but your retention might be very short.

Apps -> Reports -> Settings -> Data -> Data Retention Days What is set here?

Turn that down, wait 24 hours, and you'll get some space back. If you get to the point where 1 day is too big, you need a larger disk. No one can tell you exactly how much space you need per day. I'm currently using 29.8GB of storage for 30 days, so yes a 32gb drive can work for many applications. It's all based on how much data you generate and store, and how long you want to store it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

My retention is currently set to 30 days. My big worry is does it crash or slow down if let go?

Untangle is a database server, if you let it run out of space it'll be a brick.

From your storage report I'd say you're consuming about .76gb / day to burn that much storage for a 30 day window. I'd pull 7 days off the retention, you've still got three weeks and you'll have another 5.3gb free.

If three weeks isn't enough data for you, you need more drive.

Right now it's an easy fix, wait... and it won't be. Tune your retention back while you can.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks! I bumped the retention time down last night and now have more than half the disk space open!