Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Searching for firewall for my network...

Hi , I have a question to networking professionals. I am wondering If you can help me I am looking to set up a home network that will be beneficial in the long run I know nothing about firewalls and I am searching for one their is one from pondesk.com pico pc j1900 with 4 lan

but I am wondering if their is any alternative to firewall devices and I have a small network with 4 or 5 pc and what is the best option for myself how can I find better outcome I donot even understand the untangled software linked to hardware firewalls and i thought I would one of the professionals

thashen 4

What do you want to protect? What happens if all data on all computers is gone? Do you have back-ups or anti-virussoftware on those devices. Do you loose all your photos for example? Secondly, is that data sensitive - will it cause trouble when exposed online. Do you require protection for minors. Apps or websites that should be blocked?

If your safety requirements are similar to other families, I would suggest an edgerouter or unifi secrity gateway from Ubiquiti and have it installed by a knowledgeable friend.

Untangle Ninja

I'm not a networking professional, but here's my anyway.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend you do anything more than the absolute basics in your home network, starting out. It takes time and patience to learn and understand Untangle and products like it. Not every home user is interested in that process.

Your ISP's hardware is probably capable of giving you the basic protection of NAT through DHCP (you don't have to understand that at first, just ensure you're using it). Then, as Akubra said, think about anti-virus software on your devices (not just PCs, but at least the PCs). Learn and understand the protections already built into your devices (PCs usually have firewalls, for example). Think about using a free DNS service, such as Quad9, that offers you some protections from the bad guys.

if you find this stuff confusing, it's possible you aren't ready yet for robust solutions like Untangle. But any time spent learning and understanding these basic protections isn't wasted when you do become ready for something more complex. None of this gets tossed out once you're ready for more.

Just my opinion, of course.

Suggesting that Untangle is too difficult to understand, but then recommending a Ubiquiti product instead?

Umm... That's... well the only word I have is insane. I love Ubiquiti products, but "easy" is not a word you can use to describe them. It can be used to describe Untangle, but as has been very rightly pointed out this process in and of itself isn't easy.

Thashen4, if you want suggestions I'm afraid you're going to need to be much more specific. If you don't know how a network operates, you're best to stick with store bought SOHO junk like Belkin/Linksys/Netgear. If you want to protect things beyond that just make sure you've got working AV, Defender is built into Windows 10 and it's sufficient.

Do you want content control?
    Do you want a VPN to connect to your house?
    Do you need a VPN to connect to work?

What do you need this for? Because if you're here simply because the news said something scary, and you're not in it to learn you're probably going to spend a ton of money for no benefit and end up rather frustrated.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

What is the reason taking this question to a personal level? I'm not implying anything, my sanity level is irrelevant, we ask similar questions and both propose entry level routers. You might not agree with me, fine. You're very knowledgeable and explaining why your advice is superior helps the TS, and yes, me as well.

Ubiquiti routers are based on VyOS. VyOS was built to provide a Cisco iOS replacement that could be virtualized, or run on 3rd party hardware. Back then it was called Vyatta... Brocade bought it, and basically killed it. VyOS was a fork trying to save it, and somewhere along the line Ubiquiti picked it up.

Now, it's a strong product, but it's basically a Cisco replacement... and as such it's intended to be used by professionals, it's VERY hard to get working even on a basic level when compared to Untangle, and extremely hard when compared to typical SOHO crap boxes you'd find at Walmart.

So as I said, insane. That's not a personal insult, it's a statement of comparison given two suggestions that conflict. That's shocking, that's insane... Definition #2 of the word. Sorry you read some sort of hostile intent there, none was intended. It's just strange to me to suggest Ubiquiti gear to someone new to networks.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I think what he wanted to suggest was Unifi, not Ubiquiti. (EDIT: Re-reading his post, in fact he said Unifi from Ubiquiti, so his point is clear).

Unifi is the completely via GUI managed solution by Ubiquiti. VyOS is there under the hood, but the hood is not supposed to be removed . While Ubiquiti did indeed succeed in this, at present the Unifi stable 5.6.x has got almost no protection apart from a packet filter, which is extremely more difficult to setup than Untangle's Firewall. The new release will have other goodies.

It has a guest portal and policy enforcement which, on the contrary, are quite good. But I would pick a NAT network connection and a SOHO box plus local AV and firewalls or, when ready for the next step, an UTM solution like Untangle.

Even then... I don't agree, I HATE Ubiquiti's GUI. I use their WAPs all the time, but nothing else.

I have some edge routers in place too, but not online they are splitting up a Metro-E connection from Cox. It took me three hours to figure out how to get one of them to work the first time... no... just no...

Meanwhile Untangle's UI while not perfect, is really good at teaching people how a network is supposed to work.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

Ubiquiti's GUI is useless at least for the moment, if you need some reall stuff done you need cli, for the usg when it re provisions it removes all your cli config , so for a real beginner as Rob said he is better off with a consumer home router
    dashpuppy likes this.

Meh, I like Unifi. Nice for WAP. And the USG is fine for what it does, just a bit limited if you're looking for certain things. But not sure debating whether or not we like Ubiquiti/Unifi is helpful.

Edit: Also would agree with folks on this post that have already mentioned in other words, that if someone just wants a working home network and isn't planning to spend time on tinkering with more advanced functions, then a modern home router from netgear/other will probably serve them just fine.
    Last edited by drewstreib; 01-19-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast