Untanglit

Default Intel 219V Compatibility

Is anyone aware if the Intel 219V works with Untangle? I have found a motherboard that has one of these and one Intel i210 which from reading another post here I understand to work. I have done a google for it but can find no details on Debian 8 compatibility which I understand Untangle is based on. Any help is appreciated.

Untanglit

Just a FYI for anyone else it does on 13.2. The motherboard I am using is the ASRock IMB-191.

For the future:

A google search for Intel 219V, first link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...nection-I219-V

Set the OS drop down to Linux then click the show more button at the bottom.

The oldest driver version in the list says 7.6.1, so download that. Then extract it until you can see the source files. That file list has a ton of names in it that say e1000. e1000 one of the kernel modules that supports Intel cards. So now we know the oldest e1000 kernel module that can support this card is 7.6.1. (There are three, igb, e1000, and e1000e)

So now we can open a terminal to an Untangle installation, and run modinfo e1000 | grep version

That's going to spit back a list of version numbers, for my 13.1.1 installation is 7.3.21-k8-NAPI. Sadly this seems to be older than the oldest version available by Intel that supports that card, and while this isn't a definitive determination that this card won't work, but it is a pretty solid indication that it won't.

As 13.2 doesn't come with a kernel upgrade, it's just a UI upgrade it's not logical to assume that it will fare any better. This card may require a newer version of Debian before it'll work. Untangle is based on Debian 8.9. There is a Debian 8.10 that was released on Dec 9th. Will it incorporate a newer kernel module? I don't know... Intel support of Linux is legendary, so typically as long as the card was released before the Debian version in question you're good. Debian 8.9 was released on July 22nd, 2017. Another quick Google reveals the Intel 219V was released in Q2 of 2015... which means it's likely supported.

No way to know, unless you try. The version numbers of the drivers released by Intel don't always line up with what the Debian maintainers publish... which makes all of this murkier than it should be. I'd say you've got decent odds it'll just work.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-19-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks for the tip. Will be a great help for next time! I was hoping that the near 2 year difference between release of NIC and the release of Debian 8.9 would mean it would likly be supported but was not aware of how to check driver support beyond Googling Intel 219V + Debian 8.9 which did not through up anything useful.