Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server

Untangler

I read about your post sky and fully get that but when i had 12 assigned to the UT VM i had some strange issue. I remember you helped me with that last time i did a full setup a long time ago and i started using the priority. I use Server 2016 Hyper-V for the environment. It honestly has been very stable. The only problem was when i had an issue that one of my kids pulled the wrong power plug and corrupted some of the system..... dont ask why....

I was just thinking of going standalone to save power / have the kids able to use the Hyper-v for more practicing with OS and software. Got to love a playground of VM's that you can just restore from last check point.

Untangler

Quick question on the bus speed issue that tends to be the bottleneck. Is there a benchmark i can to check it? Always wondered that. The system is running server 2016 datacenter (my kids get it from MS as students as it is for education and not for comercial use) right now. Thanks!

No, you answer bus speed questions by reading the specifications on the mainboard, and you won't see the numbers you need unless that board is for servers. If you're using a server grade board, you're ok, if you're using a desktop board... not always, but maybe.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Ahh i see. This is my current system i run the VMs on. A T5500 Dell Presicion with a X5670 6 core. I upgraded the CPU from a E5620. That made a big difference. Here are the specs https://www.dell.com/downloads/globa..._specsheet.pdf

Thinking of going back to VMware vs windows server to give more direct hardware access. I like to learn and try also i could then use the OVA instead of the iso install for a VM install of UT.

Untangler

So i kept the server as windows 2016 and just fixed some of the settings for performance. I found an option that is making all the difference, in the bios of the T5500 has a high io performance optimization. It seemed to make some difference in speeds for transfering data. This hosts my UT, plex and a few server for the kids to test on.

If I recall correctly that setting disables the low power mode for the PCI bus, and attached devices... not something you want enabled on a server typically.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

This is what dell support said about the setting and a screenshot of the bios. Seems like a good option for a UT server.

IMG_0148.jpgSetting.JPG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12