Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server

Untangler

Default Server

I currently have my UT on a VM on a dell prescision workstation with a 6 core xeon. I want to move it off the VM to its own hardware. My family and I have quite a few devices between all the games systems, laptops, desktops, smart you name it and streaming devices. I was trying to keep it reasonable for my 250 mb internet that i might upgrade to 1 gig later as it is available here. I wonder if a 3rd gen i3 older sff system might work like at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA8WV5MN9599. I do not mind the size being the size of a smaller desktop just no server blades as my wife would kill me from fan noise!

Many times, the PCI bus is ignore in choosing a platform. This handles the passing of data from the NIC card to the CPU. It's like having a dam with a huge generator with only a small stream to feed it. The output is going to be less than expected.

Unfortunately PCI data bus specs are usually not published so it has to be actually tested with traffic.

The new X-series from Untangle will handle GB traffic and is fanless. https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng...ll/appliances/
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Even the 25 will handle gig?

I am low on funds or I would do the appliance as my first choice. I saw these and saw many say to use atleast an i3 and intel nics. I have a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 card in my VM server i would move over to the new system. But i see what it means by the bus speed on them depending on the chipset.

My current system is a workstation running UT as a VM and runs really well. I am trying to separate my UT and my VM home server so the kids can learn and play more on it. I have 6 cores and 6 gigs of ram set to it (well reserved amounts)

Quote Originally Posted by De_Lemon View Post
    Even the 25 will handle gig?
    Specifically the u25x or u25xw (x-series) will do handle 1 Gb/s connections.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

That is amazing. I was thinking as i use about 6 gigs of ram most times in use that 2gb would not be enough.

Capture.JPG

Master Untangler

2GB might not be enough for you - that depends on the apps installed, # of profiles/racks, IPS usage, etc... That really doesn't have much to do with the line level throughput referred to above.

You are talking about 2 (mostly) different things...
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 03-02-2018 at 07:36 AM.

That's because RAM and CPU aren't the the problem, the PCI bus is the problem.

You buy an appliance and there are enough lanes in the mainboard to allow all the connected bits to work.

You have a two interface router built out of a desktop, you need 1gbit / NIC, and another gbit to get into and out of the hard disk. If any of these resources have to share with each other... SPLAT GOES YOUR SPEEDS. Good luck knowing what desktop crap board can pull that off until you try it...

More CPU means less latency and more total sessions can be created per second.
    More RAM means more throughput, and more modules in the rack.

Each has an influence on total speed, but they aren't the entire equation either.
    miles267 likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I am figuring that one out. I had to give the VM minimum 4 cores worth of resources and 8 gb of ram otherwise it would slow down. I do have alot of aps loaded as i like to play with them and hell.... i paid for them why not!

Kinda a hobby being disabled and at home, been learning so much. I have learned so much from the forums here.

Master Untangler

Looks like your vm was installed from the iso. Don't know what you are using for the host or if you can use the ova.img. On proxmox it works much better than an iso install. Must have some tweaks for the virtual environment. The only one I could find was no swap. That said 2 cores and 6GB ram work better than 4 cores and 8GB. Your mileage may very. FYI

Quote Originally Posted by De_Lemon View Post
    I am figuring that one out. I had to give the VM minimum 4 cores worth of resources and 8 gb of ram otherwise it would slow down. I do have alot of aps loaded as i like to play with them and hell.... i paid for them why not!

Kinda a hobby being disabled and at home, been learning so much. I have learned so much from the forums here.
    Somewhere around here is a huge post I wrote on how to configure CPUs in VMs...

But the short answer is, you want to give all your VMs as many CPUs as the host has. Give each and every one of them ALL of them. Use the priority sliders to configure who gets what first. If you don't do this you're leaving CPU on the table.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast