Thread: Page File usage

Default Page File usage

I have a question regarding page file usage. I have upgraded to a SSD drive and I am wanting to limit the writes to my SSD to extend the life of the drive. The box has a core 2 duo with 4 GB of ram and its running on my home network. I do have a lot of devices but not enough to tax the box. I normally run with 75% of free RAM..

So the problem is the page file increases every night. The increase is small but consistent and over time it adds up. I can reboot the box and the page file is cleared. It will then run with 0 usage for a few days and then start to build again. I am assume that the page file is not even being used and I am not to worried about it but I was curious if anyone had any insight into what would be causing the system to even utilize it. My guess is nightly reports? Do you think I am safe to just disable the paging file entirely.

Again, this is totally minor and not mission critical but I just keep noticing this increase and wondered if anyone had any idea/thoughts on the matter. Thanks!

Sure you can disable swap, it will just mean that it can't swap out memory that isn't used often to disk, so memory usage will go up and it will explode if it runs out.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

The ova image does not have swap enabled. Does the virtualization take care of that or something?

VMWare has its own SWAP engine yes, but it's also a mechanism to help prevent disk thrashing in a virtualized environment. So yeah, if you use the OVA and run out of RAM, the VM will crash.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

In a VM environment it is the admin's responsibility to provide enough RAM
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com