Untanglit

Default Great hardware to install Untangle on.

In the past I've used everything from a laptop with a USB dongle to a desktop.

Recently I acquired a SOPHOS UTM 115/120 and a UTM 220. Both worked really well but the 220 has the LOUD fans one would expect with a 1U device. I replaced the fans with a couple of 40mm fans and it's a lot quieter now. But my search continues!

I now also own a Watchguard XCS 370. This box is based on a Supermicro MB with a E1200 processor. You can replace the LGA775 with several different CPUs. Here is the site for the MB with it's specs but since this is just my 3rd post, I'm having to leave off the www in front of supermicro.

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/946/PDSBM-LN2_.cfm

Never being one to be satisfied, I'll continue to look for new hardware that it readilly available for a small price and post in hopes of helping someone.

Have a great week.

Robert
    Last edited by Commander Cuddles; 05-29-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Master Untangler

Seems like the fanless models from QOTOM fit the bill, and are quite proven... Last few I ordered I got in 3 days from China, that is 'readily available' in my book.
    theoak likes this.

I use the Qotom Q370G4Y. It's expensive and overkill for my 100Mb internet connection and 25 devices. Overkill is my lifes motto though so I'm happy with it. I've enjoyed Untangles home license very much and wanted to spread the love with family and friends, so I also have been searching for a readily available, inexpensive and reliable unit.

Oh, I cannot post links since I just registered, so you'll have to do a little searching on amazon yourself.

Look for the Zotac Zbox C Series CI327 (ZBOX-CI327NANO-U).

I've seen others mention this unit in the past but the situation has changed drastically with v14. Most notably, video and wifi. In previous versions, the video wouldn't work if it was beyond a particular BIOS revision so you either used it headless or you rolled the BIOS version back. Untangle V14, being based off Debian 9, now is compatible with the intel graphics so the HDMI output works fine. Also, the Intel WIFI AC card that it currently ships with is compatible with Untangle. You can either setup a small range WIFI network or set it up as a WIFI wan and connect a cellular hotspot to it. I have 4 of these units in operation with family and friends with no problems. It's like they were made to be untangle NGFWs. Some don't like the fact that they use 2x REALTEK NICs but neither my web surfing father-in-law nor my gamer brother and his family have had any complaints. I've maxed out my command center appliance limit so I'll have to boot someone off if I add anyone new.

Seems like a great option at ~$150 for a barebones system that you just toss in RAM+SSD and you're good to go.

-Jason

Thanks for the compatibility update.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Qotom's get my vote too.

I5 5250U runs like a champ - my kids hate it - as a parent - thumbs up!
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Untangle 16.4.1 (Build: 16.4.1.20211102) (Kernel: 4.19.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Thanks sir for this info

Master Untangler

I run the same Qotom as TheOak. Love it.