Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    Hi, what do you guys think of this rig for a workplace with about 300 Users?

Dell PowerEdge R610
    Single 5500 or 5600 Processor System
    Single Intel Xeon X5570 Quad Core 2.93GHz 8MB 6.4GT/s 95W
    12GB (6 x 2GB) PC3-10600R
    PERC 6/i 256MB BBWC (RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60)
    Embedded Quad Port Broadcom 5709c 1Gb Ethernet
    Intel I340-T4 Quad Port 1GbE PCI Express Adapter (RJ-45) (A)
    Intel I340-T4 Quad Port 1GbE PCI Express Adapter (RJ-45) (B)
    iDRAC 6 Express
    Dual 717W Redundant Power Supplies
    90 Day Warranty

I have an option for many different CPUs and NICs. Should I go with something better?

Thanks!
    Update to this. Got this server and couldn't get Untangle to boot. Tried it with the drive connected directly to the SATA port as well...

Any suggestions on how to get it working or what to get that will work for this environment at a reasonable price?
    Last edited by yelped; 07-11-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Master Untangler

Can you install debian 8 or 9? Most ebay specials I have used have ancient firmware and bios too.

Untangler

Just tried it on a Dell R620 with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD and the partition manager wouldn't find that drive to format it and install it. I tried it non-RAID, and with RAID. Any ideas on what to look for to get it working? I tried enabling BIOS boot only for now.

ETA: Its running with a PERC H710 RAID controller.
    Last edited by yelped; 07-12-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Try to plug the ssd not to the raid controller. Im pretty sure you can use the dvd sata plug in motherboard.
    I have done the same in an old ml350 g5 and the e200 raid controller wasnt recognised but what i explained did the trick, just ignore the raid controller. .

Master Untangler

Perc 6i, Perc H700, AND Perc 710 will all work, I have several that are deployed using those controllers. They are all LSI full hardware controllers. They are not Intel fake (software) raid. Are you using mechanical drives or ssd? I'm confused. if using mechanical, create your array, set bios to boot into bios, not uefi, and install UT.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by bluechris View Post
    Try to plug the ssd not to the raid controller. Im pretty sure you can use the dvd sata plug in motherboard.
    I have done the same in an old ml350 g5 and the e200 raid controller wasnt recognised but what i explained did the trick, just ignore the raid controller. .
    I tried that. I connected it to the embedded SATA port. It still wouldn't detect the disk. It only detects the External USB I'm booting off.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by agit8or View Post
    Perc 6i, Perc H700, AND Perc 710 will all work, I have several that are deployed using those controllers. They are all LSI full hardware controllers. They are not Intel fake (software) raid. Are you using mechanical drives or ssd? I'm confused. if using mechanical, create your array, set bios to boot into bios, not uefi, and install UT.
    I'm using an SSD. I tried without RAID, connected to the controller and connected to the embedded SATA port as above, and I tried it with RAID 0.

Thanks for all the help!

Untangler

And it works!! Stupid me, "set as boot drive" was not checked off in the RAID controller.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123