Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Full Powered Server Rig

Hi, what do you guys think of this rig for a workplace with about 300 Users?

Dell PowerEdge R610
    Single 5500 or 5600 Processor System
    Single Intel Xeon X5570 Quad Core 2.93GHz 8MB 6.4GT/s 95W
    12GB (6 x 2GB) PC3-10600R
    PERC 6/i 256MB BBWC (RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60)
    Embedded Quad Port Broadcom 5709c 1Gb Ethernet
    Intel I340-T4 Quad Port 1GbE PCI Express Adapter (RJ-45) (A)
    Intel I340-T4 Quad Port 1GbE PCI Express Adapter (RJ-45) (B)
    iDRAC 6 Express
    Dual 717W Redundant Power Supplies
    90 Day Warranty

I have an option for many different CPUs and NICs. Should I go with something better?

Thanks!

if it works it should be fine.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

You mean if there is driver support?

Should I aim for a better NIC? There are many options for not much more.

Your NICs are fine, the larger challenge is the PCI bus. But given how old that platform is, I doubt you'll have any trouble. That system should laugh at thousands of users and push multiple gigabits of throughput easily.

Just don't use that Perc to do anything... run the disks direct.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the input! May I ask why do you say since it's older it should have less issues with the PCI bus being saturated?

Also, what is wrong with that PERC? Should I get a different model? Was planning to run 2 SSDs in RAID 0.

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    Thanks for the input! May I ask why do you say since it's older it should have less issues with the PCI bus being saturated?

Also, what is wrong with that PERC? Should I get a different model? Was planning to run 2 SSDs in RAID 0.
    The Perc 5 and 6 controllers are garbage, there is also no reason to put your server at risk with RAID 0, you don't need the performance. A free standing SSD will handle your load just fine.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Thanks. I actually meant to write I was going to use the SSDs in RAID 1, not RAID 0. Is it even possible to not use a controller on a server?

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    Thanks. I actually meant to write I was going to use the SSDs in RAID 1, not RAID 0. Is it even possible to not use a controller on a server?
    Oh you can use RAID controllers with Linux, but you have to use real ones. As I said before, PERC 5 and 6 controllers are junk. They don't actually do RAID they have a driver that does it in the OS. Which means you'd have to use Linux to perform the RAID on an OS level to get it to work, it won't let you do it the way you're used to. PERC 6 is what I refer to as a soft-RAID controller, you need a hard-RAID controller to work with anything Linux, Untangle is no exception.

And I assume you're not about to fork over $400 to get a basic real RAID controller, nor should you there is no value in RAID with Untangle, again that's what VRRP is for. Furthermore, didn't you report dual SSDs? Mirroring SSD doesn't provide value, both disks will fault at the same time.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-11-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Thank you very much for your input. So what do you suggest for the build above? Can I just not use the controller? Doesn't it must go through the controller on a server?

I have no idea what your hardware is capable of, when you roll your own that's the responsibility you take on. I started selling appliances ages ago because of stuff like this.

You might be able to configure an SSD as a single disk, and that might work. You might have to bypass the RAID physically and plug into a different SATA port. Honestly, I don't know. What I can tell you is Perc 5 and 6 controllers are garbage. That's direct personal experience with MANY faults, those things are just problems. Every RAID I ever put on them failed, single drives should be fine though.

And the failures were with Windows Server... the "supported" platform... I never trusted those things.

*Edit*

You may want to get into Untangle's beta so you can try v14 against it, different kernel. May as well start testing now.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-11-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast