Default Administrative Interface not responding on Linksys

I am running a Linksys 1900ACS and it's been working great for over a year now.
    It runs Untangle 13.2.1
    A few days ago the email reports I receive from the UT device changed on the version number (while I was out of town) changing from version 13.2.1 to 14.0.0
    All web filtering stopped working and all traffic is allowed through.
    The admin interface does not come up with http or https and times out.
    I've tried Putty and SCP to the device and both of those also timeout.
    I have rebooted the device.
    I have unplugged and replugged in the USB drive.

I'm at a loss as to what is happening, though it appears that the device is operating as a simple router without blocking anything, nor any control of the settings.
    How do I get the device to function again?
    Did the device do an auto-upgrade or is the version change indicative of something else?
    Is there a way to test if the USB files are intact?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.
    Last edited by mathutf; 08-05-2018 at 06:58 AM. Reason: More succinct title

I would try flashing a new 14.0 rootfs on a different USB stick and plugging that in and booting that.
    Then connect and configure as if new.

If you are using an actual USB stick instead of a USB hard drive, it is likely corrupted. We see very high rates of corruption on cheap USB sticks.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I tried flashing 14.0 to a new USB drive and booting it. No luck - here is what I get after doing that:
    On power up: The power light flashes,
    then power goes solid simultaneously with the eSATA light coming on solid,
    then after about 20-25 seconds both lights turn off and the power light begins flashing again and repeats the above light statuses.
    Any thoughts?
    (I may be slow to respond this week but I will report back on any steps suggested!)

My Linksys also suffered the same fate. Mine went down last Wednesday early morning as I typically have an email sent out around 2-3am. My guess is that the upgrade from 13.2.1 to 14.0.0 went belly up while I was out of town. I have taken out the USB stick and re-flashing 14.0 rootfs on it. I am using an higher-end 32GB Samsung stick.

With or Without the usb stick, Linksys will boot up with flashing power LED, turned to SOLID with eSATA LED light, after about 18-20 seconds, it will reboot again in a boot loop.

I continue to try and get it to come up to no avail.
    I've tried the original USB, a new USB flash drive and a USB HDD.
    I've tried the original firmware of 13.2.1,
    The older 13.2.0,
    the newest 14.0.0 from the img file,
    the 14.0.0 from the rootfs file.
    I have only been able to get the power and eSATA lights to come on and after one reboot, for them to stay on solid. But even in this state there isn't any wifi coming up.
    Not sure what to do next, but I'm hoping a UT expert/employee will give us an idea of what to do.
    ----------------------------
    I was erroneously thinking that wifi lights might come on and for some reason my device wasn't showing a wifi network. It looks like once I flashed the 14.0.0 to a new USB and let it boot, then reboot once - the lights then went solid. I can see the Untangle wifi from my laptop and am back up and running.
    Last edited by mathutf; 08-13-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: RESOLVED

We are seeing regular corruption of USB sticks, especially during upgrades as it is written to a lot during the upgrade but not during regular use. If your disk is corrupted, then you need to write a new rootfs (preferably on a new stick or HD) that *matches* the version of the kernel you have running. In other words if you upgraded to 14.0.0, then you need the 14.0.0 rootfs.

We will be deprecating the linksys images in the future because ngfw won't fit without a usb stick, but using usb sticks is not reliable enough for a good experience universally and we don't want to encourage this approach.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

dmorris,
    If I understand correctly, you are saying that in the future we won't be able to use Untangle with a Linksys router any longer? That would be disappointing!
    As to a solution for USB sticks, wouldn't a USB hard drive offer more stability with both read/write operations and still allow the use of the Linksys router?
    Do you know an ETA on the deprecation and what the planned alternative is for those of us using Linksys routers?

It will still work, but you won't be able to upgrade to future versions.

Linksys with a HD doesn't make a lot of sense from a product positioning perspective because at that point you might as well go x86. (plus you can't use it like a real HD for reports because the usb throughput is so bad)