Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Linksys wrt1900acs v2 broken by v14 - Untangle withdraws support

In late July my Linksys wrt1900acs v2 received a pushed upgrade to v14. The area of the site served by wireless coverage from the Linksys is used rarely and it was only recently that I discovered that client attempts to connect to the 2.4GHz network via the Linksys were failing. The 5GHz network is fine. The 2.4GHz signal, SSID etc were all present.

Having read the post about not rebooting and not having the time to play, I raised a support ticket. I would like to share the initial support response and the further response to some slightly crisper questions.

Response 1.

Thank you for contacting Untangle support. Version 14.0 does indeed prevent the 2.4 channel from operating on the Linksys wrt1900acs. Also, this is the last version that the Linksys will run. You will not be able to upgrade to 14.1 when it is released later this year. You may want to revert to 13.2.1 and restore from backup. I can email you a backup config if you like. You can get 13.2.1 here:

Best wishes,

Response 2

I apologize for the frustration you have about this, I know that it is disappointing. We do indeed care about our customers, this is why we maintain our page of old versions, in case of unexpected issues like this. I can email you your backup config file if you like. We do not intend to support the Linksys wrt1900acs for any future software releases as it has insufficient resources for running the newer versions. The only solution is to install the previous version, 13.2.1, restore from backup, and disable future upgrades at Config > Upgrade.

If you are based in Europe, we intended for the Turris Omnia to be used with Untangle. The wireless standards on the Linksys are not compatible with most European devices.
    Best wishes,

Perhaps none of you are surprised by this but I find it quite extraordinary that v14 was pushed to devices if there was an known issue. There is no acknowledgement of issues that I can find anywhere on the website.

While I do not claim to have much knowledge about anything it would seem relatively straightforward to fix the wireless issue if the 5GHz is working. But, perhaps there are other issues now that I think about it: Web Filter seems to block TV video downloads to a Sky box without acknowledging the block and reporting generally seems not to work (I have another ticket on this but have yet to receive a response). Anyway, if the Linksys is underspecified for the task then how about having a properly announced planned withdrawal?

If I take the advice and downgrade to v13.2.1, will Untangle let me know when this installation becomes vulnerable? On the basis of my experience so far, I could not be confident of this.

By way of an aside, I think that Cisco / Linksys would be rather taken aback by the last sentence of the second response. It is clearly nonsense but perhaps gives an insight into the apparent ivory tower mentality at Untangle.

Untangler

What's very odd about all this is that I am currently sending you this reply whilst connected to the 2.4Ghz channel of my Linksys WRT1900ACS running V14 of Untangle.

I am somewhat alarmed to hear that the Linksys will no longer be supported in future releases. Can anyone comment on whether this is indeed going to be the case or not?

Same as me here, i payed a pretty high price here in Greece for this router only to be able to handle my payed untangle licence and they will drop it?

Is this official because except your support ticket reply nowhere else is written, and btw everything is working correctly in my side also with both wifi.

I very glad to hear that everything is working for jim1985 and bluechris. Perhaps the support agent 'miswrote'. When I have time I will try reinstalling v14 in case the pushed upgrade was corrupted in someway - it needed a local manual power cycle before it would connect to the WAN again.

Both 2.4 and 5 Ghz on the Linksys are supported on v14. We still support Linksys WRT1900ACS in v14. Please let me know your support ticket.

https://forums.untangle.com/hardware...tml#post228208
    "We will be deprecating the linksys images in the future because ngfw won't fit without a usb stick, but using usb sticks is not reliable enough for a good experience universally and we don't want to encourage this approach."
    Last edited by jcoffin; 08-21-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Everything is working great here. I had a mishap where in the autoupgrade to v14 i lost the routing throw openvpn but this is fixed now.
    I was planning to install a new usb stick to upgrade manually to v14 but i had forgot to uncheck the auto upgrade.

Btw a huge point in this instalations is the usb stick and i always use this usb sticks that are Slc for my esxi servers for boot and now on linksys that are tanks and none failed since they are out.

Mach Xtreme MX-ES 8gb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009CNXG..._M6bFBb0T49WG6

Any good Slc usb stick is the same

That is a problem. I've lost two high-end USB sticks in my Linksys testboxes just in the past month.

Untangler

Are the Turris Omnia routers still going to be supported going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by jim1985 View Post
    Are the Turris Omnia routers still going to be supported going forward?
    Yes.
    jim1985 likes this.

Sorry about your issue. Indeed 2.4 and 5 both work on the Linksys (version doesn't matter, including v14). Please reach back out to us so we can take a look. My guess would be to choose a channel explicitly. We have seen many many many issues related to trying "Automatic" or "ACS/Automatic-Channel-Survey" over the years. If yours is set to Auto, just choose a channel.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast