Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I haven't ever done a pass through NIC configuration. I just let VMWare manage it, and I have an external vSwitch that feeds Untangle's exterior interface, and an internal vSwitch for Untangle's internal. I have a separate internal vSwitch for the rest of the VMs, and I always dedicate an interface for management. So that means a minimum of 4 interfaces for any VMWare setup.

Some of these configurations are pushing multiple 10gbit links! VMXNIC drivers are magic! But you had better know VMWare, or bad things happen.

The system bus really matters in these things. Desktop grade hardware just can't do it. But a small server? Easily. I've got a small appliance that's doing it too. Untangle has several more that seem like they should as well. Just don't expect to be able to built yourself a small, powerful, gigabit Untangle. Yes, you can do it, it is very possible. But you better be prepared to fall on your face a few times to get it.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-25-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I'm pretty sharp at VMware but I had an issue getting the external Untangle interface to pick up an IP from Cox when using a vSwitch, thus the pass-through setting. I'm not sure why it should have mattered actually. What did I miss? Keep in mind I have a simple single IP coming off a SB6190 modem, no CIDR block or anything complicated like that. I'd actually like to give the VMware method a try again if I can get it right. Is Untangle using the best possible driver for a VMware interface connected to a virtual switch? I was concerned about the packet loss and errors on the interface, at least as reported by Untangle.

Honestly I've never seen that, ostensibly there's no difference between a vSwitch and a regular switch, and I put small switches on cable modems all the time. The only time I've had issues with DHCP was when there was more than one thing attached to the vSwitch pointed at the cable modem, and you can only have so many things on DHCP.

Most of the time when changing things around you have to reboot the cable modem of course, to clear the ARP table and allow a new device to pull an address. Sometimes, you have to actually call Cox to get them to reset things on their end, but I think the entire Cox network in the US has been upgraded beyond that little hurdle.

The last little detail is allowing promiscuous mode on the vSwitch, but that is only required for Untangle bridges. I've never had to enable that for a router.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by Technolocloud View Post
    I'm pretty sharp at VMware but I had an issue getting the external Untangle interface to pick up an IP from Cox when using a vSwitch, thus the pass-through setting. I'm not sure why it should have mattered actually. What did I miss? Keep in mind I have a simple single IP coming off a SB6190 modem, no CIDR block or anything complicated like that. I'd actually like to give the VMware method a try again if I can get it right. Is Untangle using the best possible driver for a VMware interface connected to a virtual switch? I was concerned about the packet loss and errors on the interface, at least as reported by Untangle.
    I use an HP ML350 G6 running VMWARE to host my Untangle server at home. No problems here running the WAN connection from the modem through a VSWITCH. I do, however, use a dedicated NIC and Vswitch for that connection. These HP servers are rock solid. I host 10 VM's on it and have no problem. Untangle runs awesome as a VM.
    It has been a little bit since I installed it but it seems Untangle used the best network driver by default.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Honestly I've never seen that, ostensibly there's no difference between a vSwitch and a regular switch, and I put small switches on cable modems all the time. The only time I've had issues with DHCP was when there was more than one thing attached to the vSwitch pointed at the cable modem, and you can only have so many things on DHCP.

Most of the time when changing things around you have to reboot the cable modem of course, to clear the ARP table and allow a new device to pull an address. Sometimes, you have to actually call Cox to get them to reset things on their end, but I think the entire Cox network in the US has been upgraded beyond that little hurdle.

The last little detail is allowing promiscuous mode on the vSwitch, but that is only required for Untangle bridges. I've never had to enable that for a router.
    Yeah...I like Untangle as the edge device and I performed all of those steps you mentioned. Usually leaving the modem off for a good minute gets the job done. It has been awhile since I've had to call Cox for an arp refresh. Definitely was the only device on the external virtual switch when I tried it before. I can only speculate that the packet errors reported by Untangle may have had something to do with setting the adapter as a pass-through device in VMware and I hated that each port was actually part of a dual-port NIC so I killed two adapters to do the pass-through but yet only needed one of the ports. I may give it a go again just to see if I can get it working as if I can keep the performance speeds close to the same, I'd like to virtualize it.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by abailey View Post
    I use an HP ML350 G6 running VMWARE to host my Untangle server at home. No problems here running the WAN connection from the modem through a VSWITCH. I do, however, use a dedicated NIC and Vswitch for that connection. These HP servers are rock solid. I host 10 VM's on it and have no problem. Untangle runs awesome as a VM.
    It has been a little bit since I installed it but it seems Untangle used the best network driver by default.
    Good to know as I've been shopping for that footprint to reduce the bulk of the rack servers. I'm going to give it a go again.

Untanglit

Lastly, on the configuration...VMXnet interfaces for the network work best? I have vSphere 6.5 I am operating in.

Quote Originally Posted by Technolocloud View Post
    Lastly, on the configuration...VMXnet interfaces for the network work best? I have vSphere 6.5 I am operating in.
    I run ESXI 6.5 and I'm using the VMXnet interfaces. Works fine.

VMXNet interfaces generally work, there are a few systems I've poked at that they get stubborn on, but that's only if you're on that odd version of VMWare that the open-vm-tools package doesn't work with. Those systems will need some attention to manually install the VMWare tools package from the platform itself to resolve and allow the use of VMXNet. Usually though, these are 10gbit or faster fiber cards where I see trouble.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12