Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JTS

Default Hardware Build for Home Use

Hi, i wanted to build my own router for home use.. Not a typical home as most of my data traffic is streaming media and my personal VMWARE LAB for work (i'm a system engineer). I currently have 1GB internet (FIBER to House) copper to Router.
    My needs/uses
    6 Video Streaming Devices (mostly fireTV) streaming mostly Youtube and Netflix
    5 Echos/Dots
    3-5 tablets
    7-10 personal computers at any given time
    2 Ubiquity AP's
    2 Servers Hosting my Virtual LAB
    1 Juniper ex4200t switch POE
    1 HP1910 switch POE
    Several random switches that get swapped in and out depending on what im testing or setting up at the time.
    Several IOT devices (management for 3d printers laser printers Raspi etc)
    1 IPTV (possibly more in future)

Currently i'm using a Ubiquity Edge Router for my gateway / firewall and it supports the system so so.. seems a bit slow at times.

What i'm looking for is nice management.. the ability to set devices by IP or Mac on schedules to turn off at bed times etc (babysitter for kids) VPN for myself. The ability to shut access off on demand on devices (again for getting kids attention) and i need it to be simple enough my wife can use it to.. I like the idea of the parental controls, antivirus etc that the untangle has but its not my biggest concern as i have that handled through other services but if i can eliminate those and just use one.. all the better.

my proposal

Dell PE610 2 Xenon hex-core 2.4Ghz procs 16 GB ECC Ram and a 250GB SSD . system has 2 internal broadcom cards and a 4 port intel NIC

i would like to feed my AP's into the system for VLAN management and sand-boxing for Guests. so i would use 2 of the intel nic's for that and the other 2 to pass to my switch and the 2 Broadcom NICS as the WAN Ports. Possibly adding a additional card for a DMZ port or 3.

Does anyone see any issue with this setup? probably overkill but its what i have sitting around to use.

I have a very similar setup, but mine is off an i7 QNAP, and have ran Untangle boxes off of old Core2 Duo desktops for home use with no performance issues. The only issue I see is the SSD. If you use the reporting feature, it will hammer that SSD very hard causing a lot of wear. IMO, and how I'm running, is virtualize the Untangle OS onto a spindle disk. You have more than enough power to run a Windows Server or Workstation VM for your UniFi controller.

If you have the hardware just install UT and try it out. I am sure you will be much happier with UT complete and can do real awesome stuff. If you want something more low power and want to build your own go Kaby lake I3, as for AV with home pro you get great protection by web filter and bit defender AV
    Last edited by Chrismal; 09-19-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Master Untangler

I'm never a supporter of virtualizing your perimeter security device. I would never let my enterprise do that, and wouldn't do it in a home environment either. Just my opinion.
    Sam Graf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    I'm never a supporter of virtualizing your perimeter security device. I would never let my enterprise do that, and wouldn't do it in a home environment either. Just my opinion.
    Agree with you 100 percent
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

I'd do it, but I'd only do it on dedicated hardware. Virtualization isn't just about sharing space on a single host. It has advantages for backup, management, reliability, monitoring, etc, too, and the performance cost is much less than you might think, especially in a dedicated hardware scenario.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.0 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Master Untangler

Fair enough. There can be cases where that makes sense - and I've done it myself when Untangle didn't natively support the NICs on the hardware I needed to use.

Master Untangler

Untangle is a great fit for what you have in mind and the hardware requirements are modest. Over the years I've run it on old PC hardware, a repurposed Juniper WXC chassis, a Dell server and recently its running in a Zotac mini PC and its just idling along, no worries at all (C3127). Download the software and see what you think.

IMG_2613.jpgIMG_2611.jpg
    mtarbox likes this.
    Zotac CI327

Same here, zotac 327ci, wifi, gb eth, all work like a charm

Untanglit

So I have demand similar to the original poster and have tried a handful of methods to use Untangle...experiences below.

First, I virtualized Untangle on VMware. I have an HP DL380 G6 with 4 NICS but "technically" two duals. Since I was intending on using UT as the edge device, I configured one of the dual ports on the server as a pass through device within VMware to appropriately broadcast the MAC and pick up an IP from my ISP. The internal interface was fine but oddly enough the pass through device generated a number of errors and my connection speed was restricted profusely, maybe due to the TX/RX errors Untangle was noticing. Not what I expected out of of server class hardware but it may have been the configuration.

Next I decided to use a spare PC. It was a Core 2 Quad Core with 8GB of RAM and a 7200RPM 1TB drive. I thought this would be perfect. I even had a dual-port Intel PCI-e NIC in an x4 lane and only used those ports and not the on-board NIC. My 300meg Cox connection would not go any faster than 80meg down.

I tried a different machine, AMD class both with the same Intel dual-port NIC and using on-board NIC for one interface....same throughput. Each time having tested the Cox connection with a direct connect to the Surfboard SB6190 and getting near 290 on the download.

My last, and current setup, results in having acquired another DL380 G6 with dual 2.27 Zeons, 40GB of RAM and 300GB of disk space. This time I installed Untangle on the bare hardware. The result...night and day difference. For one, I get my full throughput with all of the apps I want running turned on. Turning apps like Bandwidth Control on and off made no difference on the other hardware. I'm a bit boggled about the other systems, which never ran high in CPU utilization having such a huge hit in performance difference. I paid some attention to another poster's comment about Northbridge/Southbridge performance playing a huge role and using a supported, high-performing NIC for each interface as well. Some of you are mentioning you are driving gig connections with much less hardware than I have. My lesser hardware examples would only net 1/4 of my connection speeds simply connecting one device and trying it. I have about 70 devices connected all day long. Many are servers that I have in bypass mode and don't talk much on the Internet anyway but the Rokus, Apple TV, Fire TV devices generate a good deal of traffic and with 7-10 workstations running in the house at any moment and gaming away, they can all have impact on speed to some extent.

I'd like to consider gig, which I'm sure my current setup would support but I'd actual like a smaller footprint device, maybe a tower server, etc. Though I only have the two interfaces in use at the moment, I'd like to eventually break out another two networks and put 4 interfaces to use. Any hardware recommendations for heavy load that can withstand most apps on and keep gig throughput? I think I'd be leaning towards anyone using a tower server that can reduce my logistical footprint and use less power than this big DL380 G6 I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast