Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That's normal, that device should bottle up between 600 and 800mbit. Which is "almost gigabit". I have a new appliance with a trailing letter D, because it's not G... because it's "almost" a G.

Yes, I was that tired while naming it... but I didn't know how else to do it in a model number. You need an i3, with good interfaces, and a good bus to get a real gigabit through. The Atoms / Celerons just can't quite make it. But, they are close.

Meanwhile we have gigabit to homes, and you need enterprise level hardware to fully support it. Fortunately, the backbones in the US arne't wide enough to do gigabit anyway so we have time before real performance suffers.
    Dude that is why in the real world I like your devices and always Recommend them. You do all the hard work for us and make sure they are rock stable . This is just playing around not to deploy in real world.
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismal View Post
    Dude that is why in the real world I like your devices and always Recommend them. You do all the hard work for us and make sure they are rock stable . This is just playing around not to deploy in real world.
    That's not entirely true, it is in the real world. But it's got a very different use case. Does this work well enough for a home installation? Certainly, it'd probably be well enough for many small business applications as well. That's why I offer the appliance I do in that segment. Do I wish I had a cheaper option? Yes... but the only way to do that is the Qotom stuff Untangle is selling, and I refuse to do that because of the failure rates.

I'm kinda picky on the longevity thing... you buy a box from me you're going to replace it because you out grew it, not because it died. And that drive is mostly dictated by the desert I live in, because it EATS electronics. If I don't push that hard the units won't have a proper service life in all this lightning. Sadly, that means expensive.

In a market full of everyone else doing this planned obsolescence thing... well let's just say it makes things difficult.

Side note, I'm fairly certain everyone on the planet has seen images of Arizona lightning, because it tends to flood the stock photos on the subject. But just in case someone missed it... imrs.php.jpg

That's right, my junk is engineered to survive THAT. And that integrated WiFi? Yeah, that's a grounding surface for energy in the atmosphere, good luck when your network dies because the router became a grounding surface. *ahem* Unifi... ;P Also, see above for why I look more than a little haggard during Monsoon!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-10-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

We in rural America look forward to having your gigabyte problems. The rest of the world will get there first. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    We in rural America look forward to having your gigabyte problems. The rest of the world will get there first. LOL
    What if you want to isolate your wireless and have gigabit from there to your LAN? It's not like Internet connectivity is the primary driver of gigabit filtration capability.

Rural areas can look forward to 5G coverage, while not gigabit it can be made into such relatively easily. The install is quick too for the carriers, just snapping caps on the power poles.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

For those who like their lightening as video art, storm chaser Pecos Hank is as good a place to start as any.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1leX66NWMu8

Just sayin’

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123