Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Looking for hardware suggestions

I'm a home user with a home license. I've been running Untangle fine on:

AMD Athlon 5350
    8gb of ram
    640gb WD Black (are SSDs okay to use with Untangle now?)
    Dual port Intel 82580/I340-T2

Apps:
    Webfilter
    Virus Blocker
    Virus Blocker Lite
    Application Control
    Firewall
    Reports
    Policy Manager - Policies setup for each kid as their age ranges differ greatly

We upgraded our internet to gigabit (or fake gigabit according to sky-knight ) as it's cable so 1000/50. With the speed upgrade I removed bandwidth control and turned off QoS. I've actually re-done the Untangle box (to try 14.1 beta) since getting gigabit so it never had bandwidth control or QoS at all.

The issue I am seeing now is extreme cpu usage (at least according to the Untangle GUI) when we are actually capping the gigabit connection. Which oddly happens far more than I thought it would. When the Untangle GUI is showing that the CPU is maxed out, it coincides with extreme slowness browsing the internet and buffering occurring until CPU drops a little, then rinse and repeat. We have two Netflix accounts to cover the possibility of 8 streams at once. We also stream with Hulu, Amazon Fire TVs and I run a Plex server (off of my file server) that gets used for external web streams and internal traffic.

1. Is it the hardware no longer being able t handle the connection and apps being used?
    2. Is it a software issue?
    3. What hardware is recommended, specifically looking at the qotom and zotac boxes?

Thanks,
    Flak

Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

For Gig I would go with I3 kaby lake min
    Last edited by Chrismal; 11-14-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Untangler

Not knowing what to look for in this particular case. I'm being offered an old supermicro server with 2x L5630 and 48gb of ram for cheaper than the i3 qotom. I'm assuming (even though the L5630 is 8 years old at this point?) that this would handle gigabit?

Untangler

Only way to know is to try it

Yes, that will handle it just fine, and then some.

I have a similar CPUs driving 500Mb. My CPU is a little nicer, but not much, and I only have 1 of them. I also have 500 users pushing traffic through this system, and only have 1/3 that much RAM. And since that's a Xeon system, you should be pretty safe on the PCI lanes/bus, too.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 11-14-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.4.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

I bought it, hopefully it works out as there wasn't a real return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    I bought it, hopefully it works out as there wasn't a real return policy.
    Xeon 56xx will destroy anything below a high end i5 in network capacity. As long as the server has Intel NICs in it you're good, if it's Broadcom then, well, may luck be with you.

Untangler

Finally had time to set this up. Works great, the onboard nics are older Intel gigabit nics. Has more than enough power to run my usual setup and re-enable QoS on a gigabit connection. Feels like a waste of hardware at this point. May setup esxi on it and have it replace my file server as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    Finally had time to set this up. Works great, the onboard nics are older Intel gigabit nics. Has more than enough power to run my usual setup and re-enable QoS on a gigabit connection. Feels like a waste of hardware at this point. May setup esxi on it and have it replace my file server as well.
    Careful with that, I'm assuming you have gigabit NICs right? Which means Untangle only has 1 gbit to talk to your LAN. If you put files on it too, a simple file copy will slow you down. So unless you want to upgrade to 10gbit links... you'll want to dedicate a NIC for your file server to prevent that.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I'd be adding an i340-t2 Intel nic to the server, which I already have. Dedicating the on-board nics to Untangle, one of the i340-t2 ports to esxi and the other i340-t2 port to the file server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast