Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default u25 hardware specs

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, a brief search of the forum didn't turn up much.

Where can I find the full hardware specs of the u25 appliance?

Thanks in anticipation,
    Damon

https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng...ll/appliances/

Click on the more info link then the tech notes tab.
    NGMedia likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Thank you. I gather there's so lights-out management functionality incorporated into the device? I'm looking for options for out-of-band management to enable me to reboot the device remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by NGMedia View Post
    Thank you. I gather there's so lights-out management functionality incorporated into the device? I'm looking for options for out-of-band management to enable me to reboot the device remotely.
    Out of band management doesn't exist on any of Untangle's appliances, it exists as an option on the m1500 and m3000 chassis but I'm not sure Untangle sells it. I have the same issue, and I work with similar / same manufacturers.

Now, rebooting it remotely is a very specific need, and it's built into the web UI. There are also ways via SSH to send commands to the unit to make it reboot or shutdown. What you're really looking for is some creativity, and possibly an IP enabled power outlet. Though Untangle is a very stable platform, and on these appliances if you wind up having to do a hard reset, you're very likely going to have to get to the device anyway because something has gone very wrong.

An IP KVM with integrated power is also another good option, but you'll find that magic box costs far more than the appliance itself.
    NGMedia likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Yes I was thinking an IP enabled power outlet. These are serving remote sites subjected to heat, dust, power/network connectivity irregularities and the like. Currently Untangle is running on Lenovo 1U rack servers, and I'm finding they're not very stable in this environment. I'm hoping the u25 appliances may be more reliable given the lack of fans — we'll see! We've a second satellite connection at most of these sites (very reliable; the Satellite NTDs likewise have no fans so I'm hoping that's a good sign!) so having an IP enabled power outlet connected to the Satellite LAN should be an easy workaround.

If heat is an issue at the site, I would go with the u25x instead. It has better heat dissipation.
    thecomputerdude likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I don't know what your budget is like, but it may be worthwhile looking at the Supermicro E200-9B since it has IPMI hardware management. You'd get more than just remote power control though, you'd have full hardware sensor and status management.

PS:
    For added benefit you can stick a big 12.8v AGM battery in the cabinet and run this guy indefinitely

http://a.co/d/gGmCKiy
    https://www.supermicro.com/products/...YS-E200-9B.cfm
    Last edited by thecomputerdude; 12-03-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    NGMedia likes this.

Untanglit

Thanks, jcoffin that's good to know. I've inherited some u25 appliances that have yet to be deployed so I'll need to use those first, unfortunately. What is the operating environment temperature for which the u25 is rated? These were the type of hardware specs I was after…

Quote Originally Posted by NGMedia View Post
    Thanks, jcoffin that's good to know. I've inherited some u25 appliances that have yet to be deployed so I'll need to use those first, unfortunately. What is the operating environment temperature for which the u25 is rated? These were the type of hardware specs I was after…
    Fortunately for you, I work with the same company and sell the same hardware, The environmental specs on the u25 are:
    Operating Temperature 0 ~ 40șC
    Storage Temperature -20 ~ 70șC
    Relative Humidity 0% ~ 90%, non-condensing

That device will not survive my desert sun in the summer without cooling, it's really not intended for "harsh environment". I have other devices for that. But if you never see greater than 104 ambient, it'll work just fine.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-04-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    NGMedia likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Now, you might be able to stick something like this on top and bottom of a u25 with thermal tape and improve its upper range environment survivability. I'd expect it to have enough efficiency to get another 10 degrees above base rating.

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/sk624_...CABEgKM_PD_BwE
    Last edited by thecomputerdude; 12-04-2018 at 03:40 PM.
    NGMedia likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast