Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Possible new router hardware question for a new Untangle user

I will be having gigabit asymmetric fiber installed shortly. I'm thinking of using a Supermicro 5018D-FN8T (sorry I can't link it since I am new here) with 16GB of RAM and either a 1TB 7200RPM WD Se drive or a 521GB Micron SSD.

I'm thinking I will go with Untangle HomePro and plan on using the Ad Blocker, Virus Lite, IPS/IDS, IPSec VPN, basic QoS, and maybe a couple of other apps.

Currently I am running an EdgeRouter Pro and I have 49 DNAT rules and and 37 firewall rules.

Any thoughts on whether this hardware would be adequate?

That should be more than adequate. Personally I would use the SSD drive for home instead of the 7200 RPM drive. I have my Untangle set to keep a years worth of data and it takes up less than 50GB of disk space. Of course it will depend on how many sessions you normally run from home and what all apps you have installed to keep history on. I use Web Filter, Virus Blocker, Virus Blocker Light, Bandwidth Control, Application Control, Firewall, Ad Blocker, QOS, IPsec VPN and Open VPN. Even with this most of the time my processor is under 2% and I use about 2GB RAM.
    I run it in a VM but you can see the specs below, along with historical processor usage. My processor has a little faster clock speed than yours but I am only giving Untangle 1 core.

Untangle.jpg

Untangle2.jpg

Master Untangler

Where does one set the history size to be kept?

FOUND IT in Reports....
    Last edited by manilx; 12-17-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by abailey View Post
    That should be more than adequate. Personally I would use the SSD drive for home instead of the 7200 RPM drive. I have my Untangle set to keep a years worth of data and it takes up less than 50GB of disk space. Of course it will depend on how many sessions you normally run from home and what all apps you have installed to keep history on. I use Web Filter, Virus Blocker, Virus Blocker Light, Bandwidth Control, Application Control, Firewall, Ad Blocker, QOS, IPsec VPN and Open VPN. Even with this most of the time my processor is under 2% and I use about 2GB RAM.
    I run it in a VM but you can see the specs below, along with historical processor usage. My processor has a little faster clock speed than yours but I am only giving Untangle 1 core.

Untangle.jpg

Untangle2.jpg
    Thanks for the reply!

As far as drives go that is just what I happen to have around so I wanted to use one of them rather than buy so I will go with the SSD if I wind up getting the box.

I'm just trying to rationalize spending $1K on a router with myself and the wife

I'm a bit of a networking nerd as I have ~65 active ports on my home network including a fiber run between my house and the shop so I like to tinker. Untangle seems like a fun way to tinker and learn.

Master Untangler

Well, I ordered it so I hope that Untangle performs well on this hardware.

Master Untangler

Unless you have gigabit+ internet speeds, that seems like a huge waste of resources for a home network router. But it's your money, so whatever.

I would have (actually, I did - this is what I run) done this: https://www.amazon.com/Qotom-Q355G4-...dp/B06XJV9R8X/

Master Untangler

I will have 1000Mbps/250Mbps shortly at my home. That is after routing overhead according to the ISP and the one person that I know currently using it so that is what I am basing my requirements off of. The do offer even higher plans but I don't need that.

I looked at that device but I wanted rackmount and forward facing ports.

The top picture is my house rack and the bottom is in my shop. They are connected via OM3 fiber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    I would have (actually, I did - this is what I run) done this: https://www.amazon.com/Qotom-Q355G4-...dp/B06XJV9R8X/
    I would think that this box could probably run things at a gigabit for home use (except VPN).

Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    I'm a bit of a networking nerd as I have ~65 active ports on my home network including a fiber run between my house and the shop so I like to tinker. Untangle seems like a fun way to tinker and learn.
    Well if you like to tinker around and you are familiar with VMWare, the server you ordered looks powerful enough to run ESXI and you could use some of the resources for Untangle and some for other things (especially if you add some more RAM). If your not familiar with VMware or another hypervisor then maybe dedicate this machine to Untangle but you should look into getting some type of machine hardware to try out virtual machines. Once you have that then tinkering becomes much easier and faster.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by abailey View Post
    I would think that this box could probably run things at a gigabit for home use (except VPN).

Well if you like to tinker around and you are familiar with VMWare, the server you ordered looks powerful enough to run ESXI and you could use some of the resources for Untangle and some for other things (especially if you add some more RAM). If your not familiar with VMware or another hypervisor then maybe dedicate this machine to Untangle but you should look into getting some type of machine hardware to try out virtual machines. Once you have that then tinkering becomes much easier and faster.
    I haven't ever used anything besides VMware Workstation in the past but I'll do some reading. There isn't by chance a free version is there or is it just a trial?

Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    I haven't ever used anything besides VMware Workstation in the past but I'll do some reading. There isn't by chance a free version is there or is it just a trial?
    This is getting a little off topic but yes there is a free version of ESXI. I use it at my house. Just download ESXI and it will be the full version for like 60 days. After that you need to pay for a license or enter the free license code. On their site there is a spot to request a free license. The limitations of the free vs paid are mainly:

ESXi Free Limitations -
    You canít Manage via vCenter Server (you have to use the web interface)
    Maximum 2 physical CPUs in Hosts (but unlimited cores)
    Maximum 8 vCPU per VM (Virtual Machine)
    No VMware Support (except of course forums)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast