Default Disk Space Planning

I'm looking at setting up an Untangle with Home Pro on a QOTOM-Q355G4 and trying to decide how much disk space I realistically should need to keep 30 days of data. I could send logs to my syslog server as I have plenty of slower storage and I might do this to keep data beyond 30 days, but for 30 days should a 120gb ssd be sufficient?

Syslog doesn't get everything... and there's no way for us to tell you how much space you need, it depends on your network. I've seen 120gb be overkill for 30 days, and I've seen it only last 24 hours.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I'm using only 14GB with 60 days retention on my home system. My work system is using more than 200GB for 18 days retention.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.1.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

no 120 gb of ssd would not be suffiecient for 30 days of backup, you need atleast 200 gb of ssd for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_connor View Post
    no 120 gb of ssd would not be suffiecient for 30 days of backup, you need atleast 200 gb of ssd for it.
    It all depends on the volume of traffic. I'm running 93 days on 60G m.2 sata with it half empty.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Home installation here. I use 40GB total for 90 days retention.
    A concern on older SSDs is the max write cycles for the disk (in terms of TBW aka TeraBytes Written). As discussed on a previous thread, UT seems to write about 5x the bytes as per the accounting above to disk.

So in my case, 40GB for 90 days = 0.44 GB/day = 162GB/yr. Using the 5x amplifier: 0.8TB/yr. Most modern SSDs can do >50TBW, so no issue there.