Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Got it so if I am going with the ux series I need 4g or more of memory then.

Quote Originally Posted by TnowNC View Post
    Got it so if I am going with the ux series I need 4g or more of memory then.
    If you are going to use IDS/IPS I wouldn't go less then 4GB
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Untanglit

The Qotom 330G4 and 355G4 are good units. Plenty of power, Intel NICs, and AES-NI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some research for a week on hardware, pretty much the same use as the OP. I have Gigabit fiber I wanted full link speed I ended up buying a Dell T30 think it was like $300.00 installed a Intel PRO/1000 VT Quad Port works great use it with Ubiquiti switches and AP's couldn't be happier. I just couldn't justify the price of those mini appliances on amazon. I don't think Untangle really does a good job of marketing their gear to the home user. Basing it's performance on amount of users to home users is kind of pointless. They need more easy to obtain info in their hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by pcwatermods View Post
    I did some research for a week on hardware, pretty much the same use as the OP. I have Gigabit fiber I wanted full link speed I ended up buying a Dell T30 think it was like $300.00 installed a Intel PRO/1000 VT Quad Port works great use it with Ubiquiti switches and AP's couldn't be happier. I just couldn't justify the price of those mini appliances on amazon. I don't think Untangle really does a good job of marketing their gear to the home user. Basing it's performance on amount of users to home users is kind of pointless. They need more easy to obtain info in their hardware store.
    This thing has 290watt power supply, how much it uses in normal operation?
    I say this because for home use we want low power consumption.
    Last edited by bluechris; 02-11-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismal View Post
    If you are going to use IDS/IPS I wouldn't go less then 4GB
    I'm always puzzled when people say that (and yes I know jcoffin gave that sentiment a +1)
    I have IPS running on a 2GB system, with a bunch of rules logging and blocking, and it's only showing 30MB memory usage (yes, I looked 3 times, it's 30MB, not 300MB)
    ips memory.JPG

Master Untangler

Here's what my Zotac is doing. Its not working hard right now but even when there is a lot of traffic, it barely cracks a sweat.

The Qotom Mini PC Q355G4 looks like a good thing at a keen price. I'd seriously think about one of those next time, even if it was overkill for a home network. And yes, 4G RAM is what you need as a minimum and probably all you need anyway.

ScreenShot1261.jpg
    Zotac CI327

Thanks all for the feedback, I did look at the Dell T30 as well, great price for a Xeon based server. It's just too big for where I want to install it. I ended up ordering a SuperMicro mini server SYS-E200-9B. Going to build it over the next couple days with 8GB of RAM and a 120G SSD. I'll post again after it's built and I get untangle installed.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
    Here's what my Zotac is doing. Its not working hard right now but even when there is a lot of traffic, it barely cracks a sweat.

The Qotom Mini PC Q355G4 looks like a good thing at a keen price. I'd seriously think about one of those next time, even if it was overkill for a home network. And yes, 4G RAM is what you need as a minimum and probably all you need anyway.

ScreenShot1261.jpg
    What is your throughput ?

I've GB since V14 i can get more the 550, before 900 ...
    I suspect my Zbox or bios parameters, because i'v try to reinstall V13 and same as V14 ..
    (sorry for my English)

I found a cheap Shuttle DH110 and G4400T on ebay. I can get over 500mbs on openvpn with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast