Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Zotac vs Qotom vs u50x??? So many options..

Hello all,
    Spent the last week or so reading these forums and other online references about hardware options to run untangle for home use. My current setup 500mb down/30mb up cable, 5 networks routed by an edgerouter lite, connected to 4 UniFi switches and 2 UniFi APs, 5 users, anywhere from 40 to 60 networked devices (the number of IoT devices changes thru the year), a lot of streaming and video calling (cut the cord a while ago and have distant family plus work from home needs). In reading here it would seem I need an i3 to i5 class device. I was looking at the Zotac 527 (sounds like the downside might be the mix of intel and realtek nic), the Qotom Q355G4 (issue being quality over time) and the u25x/u50x which is a Celeron vs i3/5 device.

My major wants are being able to monitor application usage for my kids, keep a close eye on my IoT devices and since this will replace my Edgerouter lite, it needs to handle all my vlans, and traffic shaping/qos. The bonus as well would be the web filtering so I can drop my pi-hole devcies.

Your thoughts and recommendations are much appreciated! thanks!

Untanglit

Hello,

Can't say for qotom or u50x, but i've Zotac.

Work well on V13 with Gigabite (940 approximatively) but since the v14 can't have more than 600mbps.
    Probably realtek driver or something else ....

All qotom user are very happy with AP wireless.

Think your best choise is qotom (i5 is maybe overkill for your use but the price is not really bigger than a I3), zotac are not bad too but realtek and untangle V14 is not good :s..

(sorry for my English)

Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

If I had the option to buy U25X/50X I would get that as it's directly supported by Untangle, Aldo its celeron it can do gigabit
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

If I go with the ux series any thoughts on memory and disk size needed? I don't need the extra ports, just wondering if there are other reasons to look for 4+GB of RAM and more disk space??

In my opinion, If I had the budget I would go for more specs but if not and opt for U25X I wouldn't run virus blocker lite (which I do not do anyways) and do not run IDS/IPS
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Untangler

I recently bought an i5-7200U based fanless PC with a bunch of Intel GbE ports for $300 shipped on Aliexpress. It's not a Qotom, it's a Yanling-based one (similar concept, different manufacturer - sold under the Minisys brand on Aliexpress).
    I bought the i5 specifically for the turbo frequency, hoping i'd get a boost in OpenVPN bandwidth (which is single-threaded).

I use it for what the OP wants to use it (home router, watching internal usage and doing some content filtering, plus OpenVPN from the outside). I have Gb fiber at home and the i5 cruises through Gb without a sweat (I get about 870-890Mb/s, which is lower than the 940Mb/s I was getting on the Unifi USG it replaces, but the CPU doesn't seem to be the limiter).

On OpenVPN, I found out that all my mobile clients (phones, laptops) are (much) slower than the firewall, so overkill again here.

If I was doing it again and I was trying to do it as inexpensively as reasonable, I guess a core-based Celeron (not an Atom-based) would be my choice, like the u50x Untangle has (or more cost-effectively a Qotom or Yanling version). 4GB of DRAM is ample and I add about a GB a day of data.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    I recently bought an i5-7200U based fanless PC with a bunch of Intel GbE ports for $300 shipped on Aliexpress. It's not a Qotom, it's a Yanling-based one (similar concept, different manufacturer - sold under the Minisys brand on Aliexpress).
    I bought the i5 specifically for the turbo frequency, hoping i'd get a boost in OpenVPN bandwidth (which is single-threaded).

I use it for what the OP wants to use it (home router, watching internal usage and doing some content filtering, plus OpenVPN from the outside). I have Gb fiber at home and the i5 cruises through Gb without a sweat (I get about 870-890Mb/s, which is lower than the 940Mb/s I was getting on the Unifi USG it replaces, but the CPU doesn't seem to be the limiter).

On OpenVPN, I found out that all my mobile clients (phones, laptops) are (much) slower than the firewall, so overkill again here.

If I was doing it again and I was trying to do it as inexpensively as reasonable, I guess a core-based Celeron (not an Atom-based) would be my choice, like the u50x Untangle has (or more cost-effectively a Qotom or Yanling version). 4GB of DRAM is ample and I add about a GB a day of data.

For open vpn better have a CPU that supports AES-NI. As for throughput limitation you probablly are hitting BUS limitation on that board

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismal View Post
    In my opinion, If I had the budget I would go for more specs but if not and opt for U25X I wouldn't run virus blocker lite (which I do not do anyways) and do not run IDS/IPS
    Seems odd to not run one of the apps the developers specifically called out they made changes in the latest update? Are you saying it's not useful or just not recommended on the u25/50x hardware?

I would not run it on only 2gb

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismal View Post
    I would not run it on only 2gb
    +1
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast