Untangler

Default Internet speed upgrade - Hardware upgrade might be required?

So i have a custom system with an i3-4150T @ 3 Ghz (dual core with HT). I went from 250 MB internet to now 400+ and noticing more cpu pull and want to make sure i will be ok. Right now i have been hitting 2.1 - 4 on the CPU usage. I have a new modem coming next week that will give my internet 1000 / 40 MB. I am concerned that it is already hitting almost the 5 yellow point. I have an i3-6100 and MSI board laying around i would just need ram for. Would the upgrade be a good idea? Here is the speed difference between the 2 cpus.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...100/2296vs2617

Honestly, you're going to run out of PCI bus long before you run out of CPU. Furthermore, the CPU load you're reporting indicates you're using substandard NICs.

That i3 is more than enough for gigabit, it's not your problem.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

The board and my add-on card network are realtek. I have a i350-AM4 intel but untangle has issues with DHCP with it. It works just fine in windows but seems that UT does not have the right drivers.

What is a good pair of inexpensive cards or a dual card. It is for home so need to keep it cheap

Here is that intel card i have (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

When did you try that i350 last? Because v14 is a new kernel, the drivers got updated along with it fairly recently.

It won't solve the PCI bus issues, but it should still reduce your CPU load to use the Intel.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

So i did a new build last night. The i350 worked right out of the gate now. Found a weird issues that applying my old backup with network settings caused the DHCP to stop working again. I reset to defaults and it worked fine again. So i applied a backup without network settings and it is up now. Very little load on CPU now.

Quote Originally Posted by De_Lemon View Post
    So i did a new build last night. The i350 worked right out of the gate now. Found a weird issues that applying my old backup with network settings caused the DHCP to stop working again. I reset to defaults and it worked fine again. So i applied a backup without network settings and it is up now. Very little load on CPU now.
    And you're as ready as you can be for gigabit without upgrading to either an appliance, or a server class mainboard.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

I get the new cable modem Monday. We will see how it works!

Untangler

Well I have had the new modem in for a week and it is working well on the gig speed internet. CPU never goes over 4 and it has been lag free even when highly utilized. Seems the I350 card change was key. Thanks for the advice! Also I had to do a fresh setup in the end with UT as my old configs keep causing some issues when switching cards. I am quite happy with it!