Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie home user with a hardware question

Hi All,

Glad I found this product. I will be a new home user, I found untangle via another forum recommendation. I am a Comcast customer who struggles going over the data cap ever month and really want to see where my data is being used so I can better manage my usage. I am currently on a 300/12 but plan on upgrading when prices drop on my area.

I currently have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite 3 and an HD Nano AP with 25 or so clients.

I have been looking at the Qotom devices and see the Qotom-Q355G4 mentioned the most. I have been looking on Ali-Express and notice some newer models with DDR4 memory and newer processors along with 6 lan ports. The Q535G6 for example. Is there any reason to avoid these newer devices or will they be fine as well? Is getting an I3 or I5 total overkill for my needs or will a Celeron work fine?

Thank you for any feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

When you roll your own hardware, you roll the dice for yourself. Untangle is based on Debian 9.6 right now, so if you want to do research on what works, you compare against that.

Unless someone has direct experience with a particular model of Qotom device, there isn't much else that can be said.

However, the I211-AT network interfaces in the Q535G6, use the IGB kernel module and the oldest version on Intel's website is 5.3.5.4.

When I SSH to my Untangle and modinfo igb, I get a version 5.4.0-k, which would seem to indicate the driver you need for the NICs at least is ready to go. So from my perspective it looks very likely to work, but again the only way to know for sure is to try it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    When you roll your own hardware, you roll the dice for yourself. Untangle is based on Debian 9.6 right now, so if you want to do research on what works, you compare against that.

Unless someone has direct experience with a particular model of Qotom device, there isn't much else that can be said.

However, the I211-AT network interfaces in the Q535G6, use the IGB kernel module and the oldest version on Intel's website is 5.3.5.4.

When I SSH to my Untangle and modinfo igb, I get a version 5.4.0-k, which would seem to indicate the driver you need for the NICs at least is ready to go. So from my perspective it looks very likely to work, but again the only way to know for sure is to try it.
    Thank you very much. Do you know the current kernel version being used?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Master Untangler

Code:
     uname -a
    Linux homeuntangle.example.com 4.9.0-7-untangle-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u1+untangle4 (2018-11-09) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yep, Donyhyo got it, we're running Linux 4.9.0.7 right now.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Some extra data to choose:

- The I211 is also used by the older (and ubiquitous) Q355G4, so there shouldn't be a compatibility issue.
    - A core i3 or core i5 for 300/12 is plenty. It's just a question on how much you want to spend to "future proof". I have Gb fiber and an i5 7200U and it's definitely plenty for home use.
    - I wouldn't look at the new Q5xxG6 unless you're aiming for the i5-7200U or i7-7500U. For instance, the i3 of the Q535G6 is not particularly better than the (cheaper) i5 of the Q353G4. Unless you need 6 Ethernet ports, I wouldn't go for it.

I put together a table with all the Qotom Q3xxG4 and Q5xxG6 series for comparison with the models that "make sense" to buy (i.e. bang for buck) shaded in green. Prices based on Aliexpress Qotom store prices, barebone, shipped to the US. Prices will vary in time and most models have multiple listings with noticeably different pricing, so shop around. It took me a while to gather this data...

Note that you may also consider the Minisys (on Aliexpress) boxes (that's what I have). They have similar models, although made by Yanling, but right now, they are a tad more expensive.

qotom.png
    Last edited by LaurentR; 03-03-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentR View Post
    Some extra data to choose:

- The I211 is also used by the older (and ubiquitous) Q355G4, so there shouldn't be a compatibility issue.
    - A core i3 or core i5 for 300/12 is plenty. It's just a question on how much you want to spend to "future proof". I have Gb fiber and an i5 7200U and it's definitely plenty for home use.
    - I wouldn't look at the new Q5xxG6 unless you're aiming for the i5-7200U or i7-7500U. For instance, the i3 of the Q535G6 is not particularly better than the (cheaper) i5 of the Q353G4. Unless you need 6 Ethernet ports, I wouldn't go for it.

I put together a table with all the Qotom Q3xxG4 and Q5xxG6 series for comparison with the models that "make sense" to buy (i.e. bang for buck) shaded in green. Prices based on Aliexpress Qotom store prices, barebone, shipped to the US. Prices will vary in time and most models have multiple listings with noticeably different pricing, so shop around. It took me a while to gather this data...

Note that you may also consider the Minisys (on Aliexpress) boxes (that's what I have). They have similar models, although made by Yanling, but right now, they are a tad more expensive.

qotom.png
    This is really good info. Thank you very much.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Untanglit

Hello,

I've recently buy this one : Q530G6 6100U NO WiFi

6 LAN, I3

I've 1gb/300 and it's just perfect.
    gwilly7 likes this.
    -------------------------------
    (Sorry for my english)

Master Untangler

I got this and it worked well but the on-board WiFi doesn't work. You can easily replace with your own full-height mini PCI-E Atheros card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZYJXKW/

The same available on AliExpress for much less:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Part...610183979.html
    Last edited by yotefn; 03-05-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Hardware offloading is not available the more the traffic is filtered.
    Does a real powerful CPU make up for cases where hardware offloading has to be disabled?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast