Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nic recognized as device not as a network card

Hello,

I replaced the Intel Pro/1000CT Gigabit with the HP (intel pro/1000 pt quad port). But the nic is recognized as a device not as a network card. I can find it under Current Devices, it shows a mac adress and a wrong interface. It does not show up under Network at all. Why does Ut think its a device and not a network interface?

I don't understand the "current devices". Post a screen capture.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Its not there now, i installed the old one. Top black bar sessions - hosts - DEVICES - users
    Last edited by klaasvaak@fastmail.com; 03-19-2019 at 07:16 AM.

That just means its been seen on the network at some point.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Network cards don't show-up there, well at least not mine. Only pc's phones tablets

I think that i have to use usb network cards instead of the intel pro/1000 pt quad port.

USB NICs are not supported. The Intel NIC you suspect is in the list, is NOT in the list. The MAC addresses resolve to the vendors in the list. If there was an Intel interface in that list, you'd see Intel's name on the list.

In short, your interface not working has nothing to do with the device list.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Usb is working. intel pro/1000 pt quad port not. It WAS in the list, i exchanged it for my old nic, so its not there anymore. I even got a server event email: New device discovered: Device Table Update: add 00:1c:c4:47:1b:fa pro/1000 pt quad port.

Thx but i will find a solution myself

Untangle Ninja

You're misunderstanding what the "Current Devices" list is - it's a list of MAC addresses detected on the network, it has nothing to do with the network interfaces in the Untangle server. Yes, a configured and active interface will also show in the list, since it's MAC address exists on the network as well. An unconfigured/inactive interface will not appear in the Current Devices list, unless you have a network cable plugged into it that connects to the same L2 network as one of the active interfaces as then it's MAC address will appear on that network (as it would if it were installed in any other computer).

To see the list of physical network interfaces installed, go to Config->Network->Interfaces and click "Remap Interfaces"

USB NICs often appear to work, but are not supported and are always a bad idea except maybe for temporary use. Every time I've used one, even when it worked initially I've eventually been bitten in the a$$ for it. Now when I need an extra physical interface and for whatever reason can't add a real NIC, I put in a small smart switch and create new virtual interfaces with VLAN tags.

As to your Intel quad port card not working, that's odd, afaik it should. Maybe you didn't get it seated in the slot all the way, so it got power but the PCIe lanes didn't connect? Maybe try switching to the other kernel?
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 03-20-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast