Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Question Will Untangle work on a Supermicro E200-9B?

I am thinking about buying a Supermicro E200-9B to run Untangle on it.

Code:
    https : // www . supermicro . com/products/system/Mini-ITX/SYS-E200-9B.cfm
    But since Untangle still does not seem to work with UEFI (on my test PC a Zotac C1327 I had to change the bios from UEFI to legacy mode), I'm not sure if it will work on the E200-9B.

This is the wrong place to ask that question, I'd call SuperMicro and ask them if this device has a legacy BIOS boot option, because if it doesn't you're right... won't work.

Beyond that I see Intel internals, and known supported NICs, so while I can't say for certain it'll work, I can say it looks extremely promising.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I read the manual for you...
    Page 64:
    Boot Mode Select
    Use this item to select the type of device that the system is going to boot from. The options
    are LEGACY, UEFI, and DUAL. The default setting is Dual.

Untanglit

Thanks for your reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    This is the wrong place to ask that question, I'd call SuperMicro and ask them if this device has a legacy BIOS boot option, because if it doesn't you're right... won't work.
    I downloaded the user manual, the BIOS does have a legacy option so it should work?

What I find a bit confusing is that debian seems to be able to boot on an EFI system wiki.debian.org/UEFI wiki.debian.org/BootLoader but Untangle can't.
    Is Untangle using an older version?
    Last edited by cholzer; 04-18-2019 at 08:12 AM.

It is very complicated to get Debian to boot on UEFI. There is no real benefit.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

it does look like a nice untangle box. funny that their product page touts it for digital signage and indoor kiosk functions, but doesn't mention router/firewall/utm.... seems an odd marketing choice for a box with quad gigabit LAN, but no WiFi.

There's a ton of "digital signage" units out there that are prime for Untangle. I'm not sure why they have the network density, but we still need the graphical head, and we need the additional CPU and RAM resources that duty entails. So honestly, one of the fastest ways to find good candidates is to look for digital signage.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    It is very complicated to get Debian to boot on UEFI. There is no real benefit.
    Right up until EFI is the only boot option, which isn't that far off. Intel is slated to drop support for it entirely on their platforms by 2020. But hey, if Untangle doesn't want to fix this it's great news for me. I've got a whole appliance line that's almost a decade behind the times, I'll be able to sell more units while Untangle gets beat up on the forums for failing to look forward...

Again... If Untangle wants to dodge the black eye, now is the time.
    cholzer likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Just a quick followup.
    The E200-9B was impossible to get (shop kept delaying the shipment for 3 weeks until I canceled the order - no other shop around here in Germany/Austria could get it either ).

So I eventually settled with the Zotac ci327-nano, which has been working flawlessly at my home for the past 4 weeks. (I know it only has Realtek NIC's but for my home network this does not seem to be an issue )

GOOD NEWS - latest Debian is now FULLY UEFI ready, quote:
    "The new cut of Debian is also billed as working out of the box with the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). As explained in the release announcement, “This means users should no longer need to disable Secure Boot support in the firmware configuration.” Which will make life easier for many-an-administrator!"

Now we wait patiently for Untangle update to open up the possibility of using the very latest hardware like this little beauty with the J4105 CPU: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast