Master Untangler

Default Make System Beep on Reboot/Shutdown and when It is back up and running...

Is there anyway to make Untangle give a serious of beeps when it is being shutdown or rebooted and also give a different serious of beeps when it is back up an running...? something like giving a couple quick back to back beeps when shutting down and giving 3 or 4 longer beeps to indicate that it is fully back up and running... (..) (_ _ _ _)

Not to my knowledge, all you get is the hardware post beep.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I was using SOPHOS UTM prior to checking out Untangle and it had that feature... It would beep a certain way on shutdown and beep a different way to indicate it was up and running...

I've worked with many linux based routers that do that. I was hoping we had the standard beep command on the command line, but it's not there. There's probably a way to script it... but I don't know how.

Honestly with an SSD equipped... the boot time is so short I never considered this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I didn't think that using an SSD was a wise choice.... I started to use a 128GB SSD for my untangle box but decided against it in favor of a 250GB 7200 RPM HDD instead...

Maybe the OS itself boots up fast enough, but my box spends nearly 8 minutes (!) doing silly UEFI and Lenovo IMM stuff before finally deciding to start loading the OS that I can't turn off without spending a bunch of money on an iLO module I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanC1968 View Post
    I didn't think that using an SSD was a wise choice
    Things have gotten a little better... I'd still over-provision the box just a bit so there's plenty of room for wear leveling, but you can do SSDs now.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.4.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

My Samsung 840 EVO 120gb lived in my daughter's laptop for a year and a half, then went into my Untangle server for 6.5 YEARS, when I pulled it because the script I found ages ago told me the drive was at 24% health.

I put the drive on my repair bench to read it with Samsung Magician, it still said "good", with over half the endurance remaining.

It's now in my 4 year old's desktop, continuing on...

I think... SSDs are fine. Now, if you're a school or something generating buckets of logs you probably should get a larger one, never let it get above 50%. But honestly, current gen SSDs are still very likely to get you 5-6 years of life even when you abuse them.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I've worked with many linux based routers that do that. I was hoping we had the standard beep command on the command line, but it's not there. There's probably a way to script it... but I don't know how.

Honestly with an SSD equipped... the boot time is so short I never considered this. auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver
    I think... SSDs are fine. Now, if you're a school or something generating buckets of logs you probably should get a larger one, never let it get above 50%. But honestly, current gen SSDs are still very likely to get you 5-6 years of life even when you abuse them.