Thread: z4 appliance

Untangler

Default z4 appliance

Will the z4 appliance as a firewall and web filtering in transparent mode cut my 1Gb bandwidth in half? I have 5 vLans created on the router, trunk port on my 48 port switch. Will the z4 sit between the router and switch?
    Last edited by masmith22; 09-26-2019 at 06:23 PM.

I'm *loving* my z4 - everything you enable is likely to have a "performance" (most noticeably throughput) hit, but it may not be even close to half. The z4 can be a router (I have it configured as such behind my cable modem 'bridge') and/but if you have something else doing your routing, the decrease in performance should be even less!

But, here is a more informed discussion that you might find helpful (I'm unable to paste/share links here until I post a few more times):
    General Forums > Hardware > CPU for gigabit connection?

FYI, our "world-class", high-dollar Palo Alto firewalls at work take noticeable performance hits as we use them as the NGFW were advertised to be.

Untangler

Default Z4

Quote Originally Posted by BB32210 View Post
    I'm *loving* my z4 - everything you enable is likely to have a "performance" (most noticeably throughput) hit, but it may not be even close to half. The z4 can be a router (I have it configured as such behind my cable modem 'bridge') and/but if you have something else doing your routing, the decrease in performance should be even less!

But, here is a more informed discussion that you might find helpful (I'm unable to paste/share links here until I post a few more times):
    General Forums > Hardware > CPU for gigabit connection?

FYI, our "world-class", high-dollar Palo Alto firewalls at work take noticeable performance hits as we use them as the NGFW were advertised to be.

Thank for responding

Yeah, there's really no way around impacting throughput when you're doing DPI/mitm like we are. This is a handy tool for tuning your Untangle, if you haven't found it yet: https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...#Configuration