Default Untangle U50 Appliance - Still actively supported?

I am working with a company that is looking for a new IT vendor and discovered that they are currently using an Untangle U50 firewall. Is this still an actively supported device or has it gone EOL and been replaced with newer offerings?

Thanks for any input anyone can provide!

It is EOL, and it has been replaced, but the unit still works.

The only thing in that unit that might be subject to replacement is the hard disk. I've had devices of similar stature last literally over a decade, and are still pushing packets.

So it's up to you if you want to maintain it, or replace it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thank you for the info. Am I correct in thinking that firmware and potential security vulnerabilities are no longer being patched and that it may be a potential network liability since it's EOL?

The hardware is not sold anymore but not EOL. The software on it is still supported and the software on it can be upgraded to the latest, v14.2.2. I have several running in live sites.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 10-10-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by BRS13 View Post
    Thank you for the info. Am I correct in thinking that firmware and potential security vulnerabilities are no longer being patched and that it may be a potential network liability since it's EOL?
    Network appliance vendors almost never provide BIOS updates, but if you're worried about an Intel Microcode problem, that not really something that can be fixed. Even 9th generation hardware with current BIOSs are vulnerable, it's up to the operating system to work around these limitations as best it can. And in that situation, Untangle has a massive leg up over just about everyone else... Why? Because it's Debian derived, and gets security updates extremely rapidly.

Which is to say, even if you're running on a 10+ year old hardware platform, the Untangle OS is an order of magnitude safer to use on that platform than say a brand new Meraki.

So I guess the question is, what do you mean when you say "firmware"? Because the appliance you're referring to is an AMD64 based PC, it's just a small flat server, it operates on the same principles as your average desktop computer. Do you refer to the Windows OS on your desktop as firmware?

So you ask is there a BIOS update? No... there isn't.
    You ask is there a current version of Untangle that can be installed and run on the platform? Yes, there most certainly is, and there will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thank you very much everyone for the input. Extremely helpful!