Master Untangler

Default Z4w and features

Hi all.
    Can the wifi be updated on the Z4w to AC?
    Will it be able to support my 275/12 connection using AV/IPS/Web filter?
    What I'm after is filtering adult sites for my whole lan and shutting of the internet from midnight to 6am for my whole network.
    I have Galaxy Note 10+. iPhone 8+. Macbook pro. Ps4 pro and xbox one x.
    I'd like the adult sites blocked from every device and no access from midnight to 6am.
    I'd also like to know my traffic info stats for how much I'm downloading etc. ISP has a limit.
    How do I buy the Z4w? I'm in Washington state.
    How do I get wifi ac?
    I am interested in the home use license too of course.
    Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
    Hi all.
    Can the wifi be updated on the Z4w to AC?
    Unfortunately no, the chipset does not support AC. I recommend a separate access point as usually the location of the incoming ISP connection is not optimal for best WiFi point access.

Will it be able to support my 275/12 connection using AV/IPS/Web filter?
    What I'm after is filtering adult sites for my whole lan and shutting of the internet from midnight to 6am for my whole network.
    I have Galaxy Note 10+. iPhone 8+. Macbook pro. Ps4 pro and xbox one x.
    I'd like the adult sites blocked from every device and no access from midnight to 6am.
    I'd also like to know my traffic info stats for how much I'm downloading etc. ISP has a limit.
    Yes, z4 will handle even more than the bandwidth that your ISP is delivering.

How do I buy the Z4w? I'm in Washington state.
    Untangle appliance can be purchased directly from our web site.
    https://www.untangle.com/buy/?config...z4%20Appliance

How do I get wifi ac?
    Again, I would purchase a separate access point to place it in a optimal location in your home.

I am interested in the home use license too of course.
    Thank you all.
    https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng...angle-at-home/
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Hi. Thank you.
    So I have a problem with routers I’ve tried in the past.
    When going to an adult site the router filter sometimes won’t load a block page. Instead the site will load normally or safari and chrome will say the server does not respond or that the site isn’t safe or similar. Im using an asus with the trend micro ai protection and parental controls. Filtering does better on iPhone. A site is blocked on iPhone yet loads on android. The site is in the adult category. So I wonder if filters look at android different? Because so far every asus router does the same. And I’ve tried different android phones and versions. This is my biggest concern. I am hoping to get the block page on all devices when users try to go to adult sites. But I’m concerned untangle might be the same and not open a block page on mobile. The asus don’t even work with it’s keyword filter on any android I’ve tried.

The other thing is a question.
    With the z4w. Would it be an ok idea to get it and try it before buying an AC AP? Because at least it’s WiFi. So I could test and get an AP if things work out. What type of connection would the z4w connect at to my iPhone 8+ and Note 10+?

Is the z4w hard to set up? I would connect cable modem to wan. MacBook Pro to lan to configure. Will it start with a setup wizard? Does it make me choose what ports do what? Like which is wan and lan etc? I may be confused.

Is there a manual and setup guide for the z4w and firewall?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I cover all the bases that I can think of.
    Thank you.

Hi. Thank you.
    So I have a problem with routers I’ve tried in the past.
    When going to an adult site the router filter sometimes won’t load a block page. Instead the site will load normally or safari and chrome will say the server does not respond or that the site isn’t safe or similar. Im using an asus with the trend micro ai protection and parental controls. Filtering does better on iPhone. A site is blocked on iPhone yet loads on android. The site is in the adult category. So I wonder if filters look at android different? Because so far every asus router does the same. And I’ve tried different android phones and versions. This is my biggest concern. I am hoping to get the block page on all devices when users try to go to adult sites. But I’m concerned untangle might be the same and not open a block page on mobile. The asus don’t even work with it’s keyword filter on any android I’ve tried.
    There is several things going on in these scenarios. There are two main ways to block sites on HTTPS, block by SNI or DNS. DNS blocking is becoming less useful now that browser (Chrome already has this) does its own DNS over HTTPS lookup which overrides the DNS intercept. The other is domain blocking on SNI which also depends if the browser is providing this information in the clear. You need to determine; 1. How the router is intercepting HTTPS and 2. which method is failing on Android.

The other thing is a question.
    With the z4w. Would it be an ok idea to get it and try it before buying an AC AP? Because at least it’s WiFi. So I could test and get an AP if things work out. What type of connection would the z4w connect at to my iPhone 8+ and Note 10+?
    Sure, you can use the z4 WiFi. Z4 WiFi is 2.4 Ghz.

Is the z4w hard to set up? I would connect cable modem to wan. MacBook Pro to lan to configure. Will it start with a setup wizard? Does it make me choose what ports do what? Like which is wan and lan etc? I may be confused.
    Is there a manual and setup guide for the z4w and firewall?
    Installation Guide. https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...l_Installation
    There is an entire wiki with answers to your questions. https://wiki.untangle.com
    Also several videos on how to configure Untangle. https://www.youtube.com/user/untanglecorp/videos
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Thanks.
    What kind of speed should I get on my devices via WiFi ? My game consoles are in same room and will be less then 12 feet away on WiFi. The mobile devices will be in same room less then 7 feet away and in a bedroom right on the other side of the wall less then 10 feet away from the z4w. I mean what do you think the devices will connect at? I know AC WiFi connects at 866mb on all my devices. I donít know WiFi N.

Once I get the Z4w could I please get some help to troubleshoot this issue on mobile I have with filtering? Please? I really donít get it. Please forgive me.

Oh. What do you mean blocking over HTTPS? Adult sites are just http that Iíve tested. Am I wrong?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by buggs1a; 12-16-2019 at 06:40 AM.