Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Home Use Hardware

I am setting up Untangle for my home use. There are four adults with various laptops, a desktop, phones, etc. I am trying to decide between three options:
    1. A used Untangle u50 for about $175
    2. A used Untangle u25 for about $200
    3. A used Shuttle DS57U Desktop Computer - Intel Celeron 3205U 1.50 GHz - 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM with 500 GB SSD for about $125.

I'm not sure what the actual hardware is inside the u50 or u25. Any thoughts on which would be the better option for me?

BTW: I like the new z4 appliance but don't really want to spend $300 for home use.

I have a u25 and its great. No problems at all.

I had a u50w at a client's restaurant and it got extremely hot. I RMA'd it for a replacement and that one also got hot. My client asked to have it replaced when during a routine inspection by the fire marshall, he recommended it be removed.

Go for the u25.

Yes, because the fire marshal knows how electronics work...

The u50 is a very similar platform to my own, the shell is the CPU's heat sink. So reasonably hot surface temperatures are quite normal for that platform. It shouldn't however exceed 48C or 120F, and isn't a fire risk, nor can it ever cause a fire. The central components will liquefy at 120C, and the system will power down causing all heat to stop. No fire unless everything dead shorts, somehow doesn't melt the wires, and trip the breakers.

The only cables on any computer anyone owns to ever worry about are the large AC cables that connect to the wall. If those go wrong, and the breaker doesn't throw. Those are actually large enough to get hot enough to start a fire. The DC bricks for laptops and small appliances simply can't do that. And I find it very disheartening to know there's a Fire Marshal out there so ignorant to all this as to suggest removal of a device.

P.S. If that heat level is "hot" to you, don't buy a managed switch... ever... because they ALL get that hot.

P.P.S. due to power usage concerns, expect future systems to run much hotter as older ones because fan profiles are being retarded to save power.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by OhioDon View Post
    Any thoughts on which would be the better option for me?
    What speed is your home internet connection? If you have 600mbit or better, or expect to have it in the next three years, I wouldn't trust any of those options to keep up.

It's not about CPU speed or network adapters. It about the PCI lanes on the mainboard. Since Untangle is built on a traditional x86 platform, all the network traffic must move across the PCI bus between the network adapter and the CPU for processing, and then back across the PCI back to a network interface for retransmit. A lot of consumer hardware just doesn't have enough throughput in terms of PCI lanes, and this includes the older-gen u25 and u50 from Untangle.

But given just those three options, if the Shuttle has two or more quality network adapters, use it. Otherwise use the u50.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 12-29-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.2.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    What speed is your home internet connection? If you have 600mbit or better, or expect to have it in the next three years, I wouldn't trust any of those options to keep up.
    My current internet speed is 20Mbps and occasionally up to 60Mbps. I'm in a rural area so I don't expect much speed increase in the next few years.

As kind of a "test", I setup an Atom D525 @ 1.80GHz with 4 GB memory that I had available. Seems to be working fine but the fan is too loud for my wife (it's mounted under our desk) so I would like a fanless system if possible. I want to make sure I don't end up with something that will slow me down.

The D525 will top out around 200mb, and the fan noise? That's interesting, my platforms based on that chip did have a fan, but the fan was there to aspirate the hard disk, not the CPU. So you could safely disconnect the fan if you slapped in an SSD.

Sadly, that doesn't apply to the uSeries if I recall correctly, all of those devices are actively cooled.

I'm kind of sad I gave away my last NG50, I loved that platform but it just aged out. If I had one, I'd ship it to you for the cost of getting it the heck off my floor!
    dashpuppy likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I suppose the heat sink and air flow is what determines whether or not a fan is needed. I used this one for years with no fan. https://www.supermicro.com/products/...PE-HF-D525.cfm In a 1u case. Only fan was in the power supply and it was very quiet.

It handled 60 x 5 cable with no problem.

Correct, the platform has a cooling design, some can be fanless, some can't. The stuff I sold that could be fanless you could see at a glance it could be so, because the gear looked like a stereo amp for a car, the entire exterior was ribs and fins.

Intel's Gen8 and onward stuff uses MUCH less power, so new stuff can be fanless without all the fins. Especially the new low power stuff to replace the Atom, there are CPUs in there that deliver modern performance at a TDP lower than an old 486!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

I just bought a Shuttle DS57U - Intel Celeron 3205U on ebay. These seem to be advertised as fanless so I hope it is. I had to buy a power supply separately but I will have less than $80 in the whole thing. Not too bad if it is silent and works as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioDon View Post
    I just bought a Shuttle DS57U - Intel Celeron 3205U on ebay. These seem to be advertised as fanless so I hope it is. I had to buy a power supply separately but I will have less than $80 in the whole thing. Not too bad if it is silent and works as advertised.

That'll do just fine. You'll have no issues with compatibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast