Question Untangle on Protectli FWB4 (and later Ubuiquity AP). Will this work?

Hi all,

I'm currently running DD-WRT on a home router and have decided to switch to something more robust for our home and better suits my needs. From doing a bit of reading it seems that Untangle will meet my needs.

I currently run 2 VLANs at home (home network, guest network) and ideally would like a 3rd virtual WLAN for IoT devices. However the virtual WLAN feature in DD-WRT doesn't work reliably, so I ended up using an old router as AP for the guest network. At some point in the near future I'd like to get a Ubiquity AP, so I can use one physical AP device for all virtual WLANs.

So what I am considering to get:
    - Protectli FWB4 Mini PC (Celeron J3160, 4 Intel NICs, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD). Sorry, as a newbie here, I can't post the URL yet.
    - Untangle Home Pro
    - (at a later point) Ubiquity Unifi AP to run multiple WLANs

Will this play well together? Is there something that I should be aware of before going out and buying the FWB4 and the Ubiquity AP?

Thanks so much in advance for any help and advice,
    Bernhard

Untangler

should all work fine, very similar to what i run here with ubiquitii ap's. I am quite partial to qotom gear (have 3) but have also heard good things about Protectli. Intel nics are the biggie outside of that should all work great.
    tangofan likes this.

ifican, thanks so much for the response.

I looked at Qotom as well and they seem very similar and would have been a contender as well, however, I didn't want the hassle of dealing with a shipment from directly China (in case I need to return it). That's why I'm looking at Protectli.

I'm hoping that the Celeron J3160 will be beefy enough, even with some of the more advanced intrusion detection features of Untangle, (FWIW I have 200 mbps downstream from my Internet provider). But going with an i5-7200u is about $300 more and that is a bit hard to swallow.

Master Untangler

I run a protectli FWC6 with multiple unifi (Ubiquiti) accces points and switches. Everything works great. Getting around 600mbps with IPS and everything else running on untangle.
    tangofan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudog2 View Post
    I run a protectli FWC6 with multiple unifi (Ubiquiti) accces points and switches. Everything works great. Getting around 600mbps with IPS and everything else running on untangle.
    Cool, thanks. Could you please tell me, how much disk space you need to run this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
    Cool, thanks. Could you please tell me, how much disk space you need to run this.
    On mine. Memory is using 3GB and disk is using 12GB as of right now.

Loudog2,

Thanks again for the information. In the meantime I also purchased an FWC6 (8GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) and installed Untangle and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

For anyone reading this thread at a later time:

• The amount of disk space you need depends strongly on the retention time of your Untangle data. In my case (being on an Internet connection that has surcharges above 1TB data per month) I'd like to keep track of my WAN data usage for the month, which means that I need to keep all my Untangle data around for at least 31 days.
    • How much data per day Untangle generates depends of course on the amount of activity and events on your network, but in my home network with about 20 devices it appears to be less than 1GB per day.

Untanglit

I am using the Protectli hardware you described and it's working great for me. I am only using two of the 4 ports, one for wan, the other for Internal along with 3 additional VLANs. I am keeping 3 months of data from 30 devices and only 1/3 of of my storage is consumed.