Default Untangle unable to boot/load Operating system

So I logged into my Firewall to look at some settings when it started throwing JSON errors. I rebooted the firewall and now it will not load/startup. after post I see the untangle logo and it starts to load, then fails and starts over again. I tried starting to safe and get the attached error. Any help would be much appreciated. I currently have my Meraki FW in place until I can resolve this.

Thanks,
    Cory

20200102_182503.jpg
    Last edited by CDKrash; 01-02-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Well let's see... JSON errors reported... reboot to a rolling reboot... No troubleshooting done at all... but it doesn't matter because... *sniff* *sniff* I smell a bad hard disk! Could be bad RAM, but more than likely a bad disk.

In other words, get out your hardware testing tools and chase it down. Those Optiplex 7020s are getting a bit long in the tooth even for me, but they do still work... that is unless you left the original platter drive in there... in which case I'd say it's a miracle it's lived this long!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-02-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Troubleshooting was done. That is why I am here. Brad new SSD. The old drive did the same thing but would eventually start after about the third time. That is why I replaced it and thought this was a drive issue. But since same symptoms have returned on a new drive, it rules out the drive. RAM checks ok after testing as well as CPU. (using Hiren's boot disk for testing)

Well, that's detail that could have been in the original post...

If you're two SSDs in and this is happening, there are only three things left to try.

1.) Update the BIOS
    2.) Replace the SATA cable feeding the SSD
    3.) Replace the PSU.

In order of that priority as we get less and less likely that's the issue.

Another thing you might try, is disable the USB 3.0 ports, it's an extremely long shot but the USB 3.0 ports on that thing are buggy as all get out, and can cause strange issues.
    NexgenAppliances.com

OK, updated BIOS to latest - Same issue
    Disabled USB 3.0 - Same issue
    Replaced SATA cable and port - Same issue
    Cloned drive just in case- Same issue
    Swapped RAM just in case (and slot) - Same issue
    Tested PSU - Tested clean voltage correct and no drop

Swapped drive out for a Win 10 drive. Boots and runs just fine, so I don't think it's hardware at this point but I don't see a OS issue forum. This firewall has been running for almost 2 years at this point with the only issue is after reboot.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by CDKrash; 01-02-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Small correction, the operating system is corrupt. No amount of repairs will fix that installation. After performing each of the above, you'd have to reinstall the platform and reboot a few times to see if the issue returns. Given you've done all of the above, a reinstall might just sort you out forever, it's hard to say.

If you weren't running a current BIOS, that is a known issue on that platform, the 7020 has some memory issues on some of those older releases in the BIOS. Memory issues for Linux can manifest as drive issues, so you might just be sorted. ( I have 50 of these in the field doing POS work, so I know the 7020 and the 7030 a little too well)

And, PSU testing is a black magic. You can't test voltages and call it good, only a load will reveal a defective component. Which is why the easiest way to test a PSU is to replace it with a known good one. A bad one with a flaky 5v rail will cause arbitrary corruption on an SSD, the behavior is much like bad RAM, only much more difficult to test for. All of that said, I find that relatively unlikely. PSUs with bad 12v and 5v rails don't usually stay intermittent long, they tend to go up in smoke and cook things in the process.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-02-2020 at 08:35 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com