Thread: AMD Ryzen Build

Default AMD Ryzen Build

Hi, Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

I have an AMD Ryzen 1600 6 core machine that I repurposed as my untangle machine at home. However on both 14.2.2 and 15 Beta, after about 2 hours the system stops working and my internet goes down until I restart the machine and then in about another 2 hours same thing happens. I don't think it's a hardware issue, which I could test for. Is there anyone else running a Ryzen system? I know it's overkill, but I just wanted to get familiar with Untangle and use it as a learning experience at home.

Well, it *is* a hardware issue.

Because operating systems don't just "stop" for no apparent reason, especially Linux. Hard locks are almost always a RAM or storage problem. But, there are exceptions...

It could be a chipset driver problem, because Untangle v14.2 and v15 are on the same kernel, using Debian 9, which was released about two months after your CPU was. Which means Untangle's using very old, and very broken drivers for that platform, if the proper drivers even exists... AMD is rather notorious for terrible driver support, especially on non-Windows platforms. I wouldn't expect that hardware to support Debian consistently until Debian v10, which you won't get in Untangle until v15.1 releases. And before you ask, no I don't know when that will be, the best I could guess is this year sometime.

All of this is assuming a hard locking situation, when the internet dies you went to the Untangle physical console and tried to use the keyboard and mouse on it, with the locally attached monitor and you found you couldn't even toggle caps lock. If the local console works, and you can access the Web UI from there, you have a very different issue that's on the network side of the equation. ARP issue, bad NIC, bad cable, that sort of thing.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-19-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks for the reply. Would it possibly show in the logs? I can continue to use my previous router until compatibility is more likely. Not a big issue, was just excited. Will also investigate to see if there’s any issue with ram or storage.

If it's hard locking, you're not likely to find anything in any logs. After all, the platform is toast at the point the log would be generated.

All you can do is test the RAM, HDD, and perhaps replace the PSU and let time tell the tale.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I run a hypervisor (xcp-ng) on my Ryzen and then boot untangle as a VM from within. This is on a Ryzen CPU (3600). So far so good and Untangle works flawlessly. The only Ryzen issue I have is the CPU is too new for xcp-ng so thermal sensors don't work.

This is also great for people who want to use LACP but can't - Setup LACP in Ryzen and connect the bonded interface to Untangle. This should work in theory but I havn't tried this myself as my Unifi switch seem to have LACP bugs with the recent firmware updates.

Yes, wrapping Untangle with a hypervisor is a great way to get feature we don't have otherwise.

If you need bonding, it works great! The only catch is the virtual NIC is limited to whatever speed it has. In HyperV that's however fast the NICs are going into the real world from it, in VMWare it's 10gbit.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by agent_kith View Post
    I run a hypervisor (xcp-ng) on my Ryzen and then boot untangle as a VM from within. This is on a Ryzen CPU (3600). So far so good and Untangle works flawlessly. The only Ryzen issue I have is the CPU is too new for xcp-ng so thermal sensors don't work.

This is also great for people who want to use LACP but can't - Setup LACP in Ryzen and connect the bonded interface to Untangle. This should work in theory but I havn't tried this myself as my Unifi switch seem to have LACP bugs with the recent firmware updates.
    Thanks, looking into this now.

So I think it's either a ram compatibility issue or bad ram. I'm currently testing the ram with memtest. I think it's a compatibility issue as If I take out one stick of the 4GB and leave the other 4GB stick in, the xcp-ng installer boots no problem. If I leave both sticks in the installer doesn't boot. So once memtest completes, if there are no errors I'll try to boot untangle with one stick of ram and see if it still goes down after the two hours, if not I think that's the issue. I'll get different ram.

Thanks to both of you for helping out.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by agent_kith View Post

Thanks for showing me this hypervisor! This has given me more ideas for using this box.