Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default u500 Hardware support after 14.x

Hi Everyone,

I have been able to get my hands on a u500 from the office and have deployed it in my home nextwork (major overkill but it looks so damn nice!)

The issue I have come across however is that the LCD on the unit was no longer displaying any information during operation - completely blank but still back lit. At cold start the top line of the LCD would display on for a second then turn off.

I contacted support to try find a solution and the result was having to perform a full reinstall (pressing del at start to access bios and booting from USB to install a fresh image to 14.2.2)

The new installation no longer recognised the hardware and reported the server as 'custom'. Support were able to 'install drivers' and the installation returned to acknowledging it was a u500 Untangle Appliance.
    Question: Are these drivers no longer part of the images? Does this mean EOL hardware is not fully supported with new releases?

Back to the LCD... the LCD still refused to display any information. Support then provided the attached driver and remotely installed it from USB as the Untangle was in Bridged mode and remote SSH wasn't available.

The result is now that the u500 has a single cursor flashing on the LCD - no other information. Same cold boot sequence.
    Untangle u500 LCD flashing cursor.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with a u500 displaying the LCD issue (blank or single cursor)? I can confirm I think this is an issue as I borrowed a second u500 from the office. It was installed with 13.x and the LCD display worked showing information. I performed a clean install from USB as per the original appliance and it now also experiences the same issue.

Alternatively, does anyone have an idea how to restore the LCD functionality to the u500 series hardware looking at the attached driver? I believe the u150, m1500 and m3000 had the same LCD.

Thanks for checking out this post

The blank single cursor is the default output for that hardware, Untangle has a module that interfaces with it to add the information, for that matter so do I, as I sell another appliance line that uses the same hardware.

The links you want to maintain are artificial, there's no gain in having Untangle.com recognize the hardware as what it is, and the LCD itself is purely cosmetic in both my case, and Untangle's. As for the platform's ability to work with v15.1, you'll be happy to know I've already tested Debian Buster on it, it works fine.

As for support's response to make you reinstall, that strikes me as strange. Because the only thing you need to make the LCD work is the untangle-lanner-lcd package, which can be installed via the command line. There was no need to reinstall the unit for just that. But I have no knowledge of if that package is working or not on v14, as I don't use it. Again I use my own software for that.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

What is your support ticket number?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Request #162058

Quote Originally Posted by Handi-Admin View Post
    Request #162058
    You will need to enabled "Allow secure remote access to support team"

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The blank single cursor is the default output for that hardware, Untangle has a module that interfaces with it to add the information, for that matter so do I, as I sell another appliance line that uses the same hardware.

The links you want to maintain are artificial, there's no gain in having Untangle.com recognize the hardware as what it is, and the LCD itself is purely cosmetic in both my case, and Untangle's. As for the platform's ability to work with v15.1, you'll be happy to know I've already tested Debian Buster on it, it works fine.

As for support's response to make you reinstall, that strikes me as strange. Because the only thing you need to make the LCD work is the untangle-lanner-lcd package, which can be installed via the command line. There was no need to reinstall the unit for just that. But I have no knowledge of if that package is working or not on v14, as I don't use it. Again I use my own software for that.
    Thanks for the great information

Good to know v15.1 will continue to work. I've run Untangle as a VM in ESX for years without so much as a hiccup. The hardware looked nice but the only benefit I've found so far is for the Bridge mode configuration to utilise the NIC hardware pass through.

I can live without the LCD information, like you say - it was cosmetic and a portion of my OCD had kicked in to go 'all the way'.
    Last edited by Handi-Admin; 01-23-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    You will need to enabled "Allow secure remote access to support team"
    Already enabled

Untangle Remote Support.JPG

You will need to cycle allow secure remote off - save - then on. Command Center is showing it as support off.

Untanglit

Done

Quote Originally Posted by Handi-Admin View Post
    Done
    You might want to DM me your UID as the one on the ticket is not showing in the support channel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast