Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

In my first UT hardware build, I had intermittent UT crashes. Jcoffin and others raised the possibility it was a hardware issue (i.e. usually DRAM compatibility) as UT is extremely stable. I didn't really think too much of it, but I ended up finding a sw memory tester that was indeed finding memory errors after hours of running. That system with very rare test fails was still bad enough to crash UT occasionally.

There was nothing obviously wrong with my setup spec-wise (or in the BIOS config), just a motherboard unhappy about that particular pair of DRAM sticks... I changed brand of sticks and voila, 100% stable...
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Thank you for posting this for us!

Untangle Ninja

I am sure memtest could be a grub boot option if it is not already.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untangle Ninja

I added a feature request for adding memtest to the grub bootloader. If you think it would be useful vote for it.

https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...ub-boot-option

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    I am sure memtest could be a grub boot option if it is not already.
    So we're talking about a boot option, but LaurentR used something to test memory "that was indeed finding memory errors after hours of running." A boot-time test is better than no test when something flaky is happening, yet we're not talking about the "LaurentR Test." It'd be nice to have that test documented a little further for future reference since it produced results.

Untangle Ninja

Ok but what test did he use? And of course if it is crashed how would he run it? Is it free open software? A grub option would be best for appliances or other cd less boxes. It is also very small space wise. But if it is better that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Ok but what test did he use? And of course if it is crashed how would he run it? Is it free open software?
    Well, exactly. It'd be nice to have that test documented, as I said. I'm not against having memtest on the tool belt, but I'd like to know more about a test that has a documented result. It doesn't have to be either/or, but it is about getting results.

Untangle Ninja

FYI for somebody looking at this down the road. Memtest is a debian package you could use wget to download and install with dpkg -i. It will install memtest and put the entry into grub. This will cause it to not be supported but you are having problems anyway.

Good luck

Why not just put memtest on a USB stick and boot to it manually like a normal person?

If you have a defective hard disk, Linux will often times report bad RAM. By not booting to separate storage you're actually REDUCING the efficacy of the test! This reality is only underscored in this age of SSD, where persistent storage fails like bad RAM... and we have poor tools to detect the faults. If you can't confirm good RAM, finding an intermittently bad SSD is almost impossible!
    Sam Graf and Jim.Alles like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

So I got another rack server, its old and well over specced but so far so good. I suppose it could be the memory in the other I'll swap it out at some point

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast