Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed issues?

Quote Originally Posted by mtarbox View Post
    @sky-knight
    Thanks for the reply. I do have some long runs, from the house to the garage in conduit that runs underneath the driveway. I don't think I would have managed to get all of them through the conduit with plugs at the end.
    So what I would recommend is factory patch cords and surface mount jacks. Inexpensive patch cords can be had in stock at most electrical supply houses. Even Wal-mart is not the place for that. Shop on-line for reputable USA dealers, not bottom dollar.

The BICSI certification standard for structured cabling does not even allow for crimping connectors on long cable runs. They are to be terminated in RJ-45 jacks, and short patch cords used. The surface-mount style pictured is small and the universally usable modular keystones with 110-type punch-down are so much easier to terminate and far more reliable. They are just a few dollars.

RJ-45.jpg
    One of the biggest difficulties in the hand-crimping method is that the majority of modular connectors sold are for stranded wire (for flexible patch cords) so they are the easiest to obtain. The spools of cable are solid conductors. The metal stabs are different between the two, and descriptions don't usually point this out.

The biggest difficulty I used to have with the ID10T doing my crimping gave a 50% failure rate w/re-work needed and did not give any warranty, or factory testing. I do still have the dies for the Greenlee crimper, but it is configured for spade terminals, now.

I do carry 50' and 100' manufactured "patch cords" for temporary situations (OK so one is run across my kitchen for a year now. I guess I need to deal with that, myself).
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 03-06-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    mtarbox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    One of the biggest difficulties in the hand-crimping method is that the majority of modular connectors sold are for stranded wire (for flexible patch cords) so they are the easiest to obtain. The spools of cable are solid conductors. The metal stabs are different between the two, and descriptions don't usually point this out..
    Even if you get the male ends meant for solid conductor... it's still a weak connection. Think about it... gold fingers, pressed through the insulation of a thin copper wire, and simply sitting on the side of the conductor... All it takes is a slight rotation of the insulated conductor and POOF no connection.

The 110 style impact termination uses a fork, that cuts INTO the copper. That's how that female jack you depicted grabs, and that link once made is MUCH stronger. To further reinforce things, the female jack tends to be mounted in something that prevents the termination point from moving, the male jack is wide open for movement. And all such movement creates pressures on each conductor within the modular end, encouraging a break.

You can only avoid this by taking solid conductor into a 110 style connection, and reserving all crimping for braided patch cable. That's why the standard you listed requires what it does.

But what do I find when I walk into most places home or small office? wires hanging out of the ceiling with modular ends on them... installed by "certified" electricians...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 03-06-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Browser cache issue??? Major revision upgrades I always clear the cache. Clear your cookies and cache ... maybe the right setting will show up?
    Untangle 15.0.0 (Build: 15.1.0.20200424) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    But what do I find when I walk into most places home or small office? wires hanging out of the ceiling with modular ends on them... installed by "certified" electricians...
    Time to break the scissors out!
    If you think I got Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    Time to break the scissors out!
    If the wires are long enough... I've installed so many of these blasted things: https://www.amazon.com/Intellinet-12.../dp/B000BSJJ1M

I can't figure out why someone would bother to take the time to crimp all those ends to save $20... it takes so much more time to crimp all the wires than it does to just punch them down! That time of course translates into far more expense than the $20.

And of course the network wiggies that inevitably crop up a year or two later.

Of course I use a set of electricians shears to do practically everything, and most network guys look at me like I've got two heads... RJ 45? NO problem... RG6? NO PROBLEM... meanwhile they've got a belt full of specific stripping tools! But I'm not certified to do low voltage...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 03-06-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    mtarbox and Jim.Alles like this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Spotted this thread, got me wondering .... and sure enough same issue, same fix !
    mtarbox and Jim.Alles like this.

Dirt... the bane of parents and network people for the ages!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

When we re-did the office I installed keystone jacks in the wall. Last month at work we finally moved our server and switches from a closet in the garage bay to a 42U APC Rack that I managed to get for free from another company. It came with one dead and one good UPS. Had one of the guys run a dedicated power line to the area, and my boss and I spent the entire day pulling new solid cable. One end of those connections terminated into a punch panel, then patch cables to the switches, UTM and modem. Some of the other connections were to modular connectors like the one posted above and others were to RJ-45's. Everything was on a budget(the big boss is a penny pincher, and this project would not have moved forward had I not obtained the server rack).

Anyway, I thank those that responded, and helped and educated me.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12