Default Intel C3558 with SOC x553 ethernet

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have come across a problem. I have an intel C3558 system with x553 SOC based ethernet. Untangle is not recognizing the NICs during the installation wizard. I am requesting assistance in compiling drivers for it. I am not sure how to get started. Has anyone gone through this procedure? Please let me know.

Can anyone help me out here as its urgent?

Stay safe everyone.

I would get other hardware. The Intel X553 chipset according to this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...s-Under-Linux-

Isn't supported until IXGBE kernel module version number 5.6.5, which was released 11-28-2019. Debian 10 was released July 6th 2019, this means you'll have to wait until Debian 11 to get support for this card in Debian. Untangle is currently based on Debian 9, and won't even be on Debian 10 until we get v15.1.

And therein lies the real rub, yes you can compile drivers... but it won't be SUPPORTED. And on the very next upgrade, they'll break... and you'll be in a mad panic trying to compile new drivers again. This process to be repeated however many times Untangle needs to upgrade its kernel all the way to a future version based on Debian 11. A version that has no release date scheduled...

If you insist on doing things the hard way, the instructions are here: https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...Kernel_Modules

No promises... because those repos don't always work the way people expect and if you screw up the process you'll wind up with an Untangle Frankenstein that will simply not work.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I am not familiar with this hardware but maybe you could install proxmox (or similar hypervisor). Then run untangle as a vm. Not sure about performance but only one way to find out.

Hi guys!

Please refer to the below mentioned procedure I found on the forum from a guy named dmor:

Connected a USB NIC to the hardware & installed from USB CD-ROM (Untangle installer refuses to complete if no NICs are detected, so this overcame that problem).

Installed make, gcc & linux kernel headers via:
    Uncommented the line in /etc/apt/sources.list so that standard Debian repos are enabled.
    apt-get update
    apt-get install gcc make linux-headers-4.9.0-6-untangle-amd64

Downloaded the latest ixgbe driver from intel's website.

Extracted the tarball

cd to the extracted tarball folder /src directory
    cd ixgbe-5.3.7/src

make

sudo rmmod ixgbe

modinfo ./ixgbe.ko <--- this is to see what its dependency modules are

sudo modprobe <1st dependency module>
    sudo modprobe <2nd dependency module>

sudo insmod ./ixgbe.ko

less -S /var/log/kern.log <--- this is to verify the module loaded fine

sudo make install

sudo modprobe ixgbe

/etc/init.d/untangle-vm restart <---- Until doing this, Untangle didn't see the new NICs

Verified the Untangle Settings page now shows 5 NICs (USB + 4 on-board)

Commented out again the line for standard Debian repo in /etc/apt/sources.list

Rebooted for good measure

Logged in & verified I still have 5 NICs

Shut down

Removed the USB NIC

Powered up

Verified I still have 5 NICs, but the USB is now at the bottom as missing, and the 4 on-board have been re-numbered as eth0-3 instead of eth1-4

Deleted the missing NIC via the Untangle > Settings Network configuration page.

Configured the onboard 1st NIC (eth0) as a WAN on DHCP.

Verified good connectivity

Rebooted for good measure / testing

No problems afterward (reboot time was less than 2 minutes)

Enabled a 2nd NIC as a LAN w/ DHCP server enabled. Connected a laptop & tested it a lot. No problems whatsoever (also checked for lost packets, latency, etc. Performance is pristine).

Installed trial of several apps & did some basic configuration, and am continuing to run traffic through it.

I have a few questions regarding it.

Please check so I can begin asking questions.
    Jim.Alles and donhwyo like this.

If it works, it works.
    I have never dived that deep, so checking your work won't mean much - It seems like it went smoothly!
    I appreciate the good documentation!

And that dmor guy -- yep, he does know what he is doing!

You don't want the build tools on a production system, once you have a working KO you should pull it, and install a clean platform you can then install the KO into. Beyond that, welcome to introductory hardware support for Linux OS's. There aren't many here that can help you much, you're in your own uncharted waters.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    I am not familiar with this hardware but maybe you could install proxmox (or similar hypervisor). Then run untangle as a vm. Not sure about performance but only one way to find out.
    Thank you very much for the solution.
    Jim.Alles likes this.