Default NIC Chipset question

This is a little long-winded, so I apologize if I ramble.

I've had 20mbps cable internet service for a while and finally was able to upgrade to gigabit fiber. Imagine my disappointment when I couldn't get more than 250mbps, so I turned to the forums. As suggested by multiple threads, if I stop the UVM, I get good speed (mid to high 800s) and back to mid 200s when I start it again. I can also see the CPU usage peg in my dashboard when I'm running a large download. So, I know I need to upgrade. I just need a little clarification before I start spending money, as this is my home lab so I have to be a bit budget-minded.

My Untangle router is currently running on an X7SPE-HF-D525 (Atom D535) which was fine until now. I'm looking at upgrading the board to an X9SCM-F with an E3-1220 V2. That board will fit in my existing Supermicro mini-server rack case.

What I would like to understand (or learn how to research) is the throughput of the NICs. In several threads, I've read that some NIC chipsets are crap in this role. If a NIC is branded as Gigabit, I (an amateur) would expect it to be able to at least come close to gigabit throughput in most scenarios. If someone can tell me whether the 82574L controller on the board I'm looking at would give me at least close to my gigabit throughput, that would be great. But I'd like to know what resources to use that will tell me more than "Yep, it's gigabit" marketing garbo.

The 825xx series is well supported by Untangle, as my appliances AND Untangle's larger appliances use a similar chip set.

That being said, I do caution about using any of Intel's chips with the L in the part number, that stands for "low power", and isn't appropriate for a router that's always on. But, that isn't to say it won't work as well, it's just less optimal.

To further confuse matters, Untangle v15.1 is releasing very soon, as in... last I saw scheduled for this week. That update brings with it a new kernel, and a slew of new drivers.

All in all I expect that board would treat you well, if not now... then next week.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

rtuite,

Question for you, are you getting 250Mbps of NGFW throughput? If so I might be interested in that board if you decide to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The 825xx series is well supported by Untangle, as my appliances AND Untangle's larger appliances use a similar chip set.

That being said, I do caution about using any of Intel's chips with the L in the part number, that stands for "low power", and isn't appropriate for a router that's always on. But, that isn't to say it won't work as well, it's just less optimal.

To further confuse matters, Untangle v15.1 is releasing very soon, as in... last I saw scheduled for this week. That update brings with it a new kernel, and a slew of new drivers.

All in all I expect that board would treat you well, if not now... then next week.
    Thanks for the info. That helps a lot! I'm assuming that the L series chips you refer to are like the L3426, right? The one I'm looking at is an E3-1220 V2, which if I understand my designations properly is a standard server series CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by gedavids View Post
    Question for you, are you getting 250Mbps of NGFW throughput?
    I believe so... Again, I'm a bit of an amateur with all this. That's what I'm getting with the "unlicensed" version of Untangle running with the firewall up and UVM running. If I take UVM down, I get much more. It's a little inconsistent, but I think that's my ISP since the Fiber system is brand new and I'm part of the pilot. I'm sure if you're licensed for threat prevention, web filtering, etc, you will probably see less.

I wasn't talking about the CPU, I was talking about the NIC chipset, the L on the end means low power for those. but again, I'm pretty sure it works, that chipset looks familiar.

As for your original appliance, I assume you mean an Atom D525, and yes that platform tops out around 200mbit. I've sold buckets of them, the CPU just tops out around there. So you're correct to replace the unit to get more CPU to break that barrier.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Oh, geez. I'm apparently asleep at the wheel here... I completely blanked that the NIC was also Intel.

Presumably, if I run into issues, I can add an appropriate dual NIC card using the PCI-E slots?

Quote Originally Posted by rtuite View Post
    Oh, geez. I'm apparently asleep at the wheel here... I completely blanked that the NIC was also Intel.

Presumably, if I run into issues, I can add an appropriate dual NIC card using the PCI-E slots?
    Yes, but as I said I wouldn't expect a problem. I'm just pointing out that a low power NIC doesn't make much sense for a router that's always on. In some rare cases, it can cause issues.
    NexgenAppliances.com