Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

And there's a fine line to walk when you're trying to present examples to those trying to learn, and setting traps for the same.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    No worries - we aren't mad at each other!

There are just somethings that have been that way for a really long time, and I am guessing there was much internal debate at one time.

It is good we had the discussion so people are aware of the risk exposure on that one!

Personally I've never enabled SSH or used the terminal on untangle. I usually leave the network alone for the most part, but have been interested in playing around with the 10g stuff. I'm currently using the JNF592-Q170, and noticed there was a pcie 3.0 x4 available on the board. Based on my searches I found that the X550-t2 is a dual port pcie 3.0 x4 card with 10g capabilities. Thought it would be fun to play with a little to get my knowledge base up a bit. Honestly was thinking of running the gaming computer on the 10g side; since the gaming computer has a built in 10g port. Again it's mainly for playing with not for a full production unit in the field.

Curiosity is just getting the best of me to be honest. If I was to give it a try would it be better to do a full reinstall of untangle, or can I just pop in the card and configure it with the existing system on it. Super overkill I know, but I'm trying to develop some further knowledge on the 10G side of things. If I had a free x8 slot I would have gotten the spf+ and run a fiber connection to the gaming computer. I realize that "curiosity will always kill the cat", but learning can be fun - especially learn by doing.

I've been doing networking since I was a kid, and helped wire my high school back in the 90s; 16 year old kid in the 90s terminating RJ45. My home network is my experimental playground.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
    Personally I've never enabled SSH or used the terminal on untangle.

If I was to give it a try would it be better to do a full reinstall of untangle, or can I just pop in the card and configure it with the existing system on it.
    I SSH into the CLI to look at logs to see how I broke something like dnsmasq!

If you are adding a card to the system and leaving the existing External interface, NGFW should handle it just fine. I haven't tried it on these current versions - sometimes it used to swap things around a little. I suspect it has gotten a lot better.

and, yup same here the home domain is to test and learn from!
    flynhawaiian likes this.

Untangler

Sweet good to know.

I also have SSH exposed, though I use it exceedingly rarely these days. Once upon a time it was practically required...

Now... I like to have it to watch upgrades, and in the rare case I need TCPDump, I find it's more convenient than using the web UI.

But again it's very much not supported, and opening that door is the only way I've ever known an Untangle server to be compromised. So if you want it open, that's fine... but do your diligence and be ready to accept the responsibility.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Installed the card no problems. Needed to do a full reinstall, and could not use the restore feature due to the hardware change. Luckily I had all of the information downloaded in case this occured.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

I have this card, has been working since 14.X. Still working with 15.1. I've never seen any major issues with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123