Thread: Arm future?

Untangler

Default Arm future?

I noticed that the SD-WAN version of untangle is being run on the ARM processors. I'm wondering if there have been thoughts or future plans for the ARM to be fully supported with NGFW. It seems like everything is moving towards the ARM world due to processing power, cost of implementation, and power savings. Heck even apple is beginning to move their laptops to the ARM processors (developed in house). With the advent of the ARM v8 the 64-bit wont be an issue, and I believe they are even up to 6GB of memory in some of the packages.

Just interested from a futuristic perspective.

Untangle Ninja

The more-or-less full version of Untangle NGFW did run on ARM for awhile, but it was dropped (at v14.1 I believe) due to lack of available hardware of sufficient capability, and significant support problems with the hardware that was available.

I still have one running a client's office, on a Linksys WRT-something-or-other, that I'm going to have to deal with sometime soon. If SD-WAN had OpenVPN server, and not just a client, it would be a good-enough replacement for this client; as things are though, I'll probably end up just going back to the stock firmware.

I imagine Untangle will revisit ARM support if and when reasonable hardware becomes readily available.
    flynhawaiian likes this.

Untangle Ninja

I created a feature request for adding openvpn server to sd-wan. You can vote for it once it gets past moderation.

https://untanglesdwanrouter.featureupvote.com/

Untangler

I kind of get the feeling it’s going to be here soon. I think ubiquiti is running the arm on their new udm pro router. I mean even if they used multi processor arms I feel the power requirements would be tiny.

Yes Ubiquiti is using ARM, but no... it's not easy.

NGFW actually does the processing on unit, instead of out sourcing it to the cloud... so it needs more... so much more. But it's also more resilient... and had massively improved logging as a result.

I love Unifi gear, but Unifi's routers that pretend they are UTMs? Universally junk IMHO.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I agree with that statement about their routers. However their wireless products are amazing. Especially the long distance stuff. I’m still using a few 3ghz licensed band stuff for long distance security cameras. Their access points I feel are a little under powered processor wise, and end up with 50-60% cpu utilization.

I mean if you think about the arm world... imagine for processing power 4 RaspberryPi hooked together. Or using the pci versions of their systems. I mean if you had 4 processors or even two I feel the untangle would be able to run.

Oh most certainly, there are ARM platforms that can support Untangle quite well. They just aren't generally available.

And I completely agree on Ubiquiti's stuff, I love it, and I use the heck out of it. I just don't use their routers!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com